View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Emergency Room and avoiding hospitals 

Post Re: Emergency Room and avoiding hospitals
Debra, this has also been our experience with ERs. No 'psych ward' but waiting for hours [12 hours once] before being seen by a doctor or even being treated at all. It's the last place you want to go, IMHO. If it's a medical emergency and you call 991 to have them transported they will get priority treatment.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:48 pm

And there we are again, back to the 911 issue of whether they will recognize the medical directive or not. Or whether an ER will or will not. I guess we're danged if we do and danged if we don't. It would take a very strong or pragmatic person to go through this without questioning her (or his) every move.

When I have taken Mom to the ER, I am thoroughly annoying, constantly asking for status on tests and where is the doctor and "we're tired of waiting, give me the AMA (against medical advice) form." I don't think it does any good, but it makes me feel better.

Kate

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:41 pm

Quote:
When I have taken Mom to the ER, I am thoroughly annoying, constantly asking for status on tests and where is the doctor and "we're tired of waiting, give me the AMA (against medical advice) form." I don't think it does any good, but it makes me feel better.
Kate

Sounds like me!! :lol: I started reading this thread this morning because when I got up with mom this morning she was markedly worse than she was last night and had a big spot on her nightgown where she had been drooling for a while ( she doesn't normally drool). She has an infection in her diabetic blisters on her leg and I took her to the doctor on Tuesday and they started her on antibiotics but told me that if she gets worse at all ( fever, more redness, chills) to take her to the ER. She said she was hot and asked me to turn the fan on her so I did, then went to wake up my sister and get her started on getting ready to go the ER. When I tried to take her temperature it was 34C, which isn't possible I guess unless you're dead, so got my sister working on trying to make the thermometer work in Fahrenheit mode. By this time I'm in panic mode but trying to maintain because I REALLY don't want to take her to the ER.
I always do her BP and weight (for CHF) first thing in the morning before her breakfast, and check her blood sugar because she's also diabetic. Well............. her blood sugar was only 66, so I gave her a glass of orange juice and then fed her her regular breakfast and a half hour later she was perked up and just fine!! Her leg actually doesn't look any worse than it did yesterday but no better either, so I think we'll just wait for her appointment with the doctor tomorrow morning.
It's funny now (3 hours later), but I was just freaked out this morning because she was so much worse, but hypoglycemia will do that to a diabetic! Once she started feeling better and I was still unsure about going to the hospital or not, I told my sister " Well, let's take her to her hair appointment first at noon because they probably won't even see her before then and I know her hair is bothering her, she wants to get it cut and styled before the family reunion this Sunday, and if she still needs to go we'll take her this afternoon".
Thanks Jeanne for the tip on the book, I just ordered it from the library. I really don't know what I'd do without this forum and all of you other caregivers!
Ellen

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Ellen, I'm glad you dodged that particular bullet. Blood sugar of 66! I'd be nonfunctional. I hate being low. I try to remember to take a reading if I'm feeling strange symptoms. Even if the bs is not what's causing the symptoms I want to make sure it is not low in response to whatever is causing the symptom.

We have a few very strong advocates in our local support group, and we also encourage each other when the need arises. After one session with a lot sharing of experience with advocating, we decided we should rename our group to "Caregivers from hell." :twisted:

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:59 am

Jeanne- Love it, I would fit right in! :lol:

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3