View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Any advice regarding hard-to-open bottles and jars? 

Post Any advice regarding hard-to-open bottles and jars?
Coy can still perform most ADLs on his own. The mouthwash bottles always come with child-resistant caps, which he has a devil of a time opening and closing. (So do I, for that matter.) I wish the caps could be turned over or something so they could be easy for childless households, but I haven't seen any mouthwash bottles with options. Coy has been filing off the little nubs on the bottle, which I think is very clever, but a little risky handling a full bottle without its cap on.

Do you have a creative solution for this small daily irritant?

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 am

Post Re: Any advice regarding hard-to-open bottles and jars?
Jeanne, I have one of those round, flat, rubber jar openers that seems to do the trick for me. You can buy them anywhere, in the kitchen dept. Prior to Lewy, I always used it for pickle jars, pasta sauce jars, etc.
Works great.
Bernie

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:38 am

Personally, I just 'give in' and put whatever the substance is into another bottle. I hate anything that gives me stress at this point. :x

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:16 am

I second Leone's option. So many things are only sold in safety bottles. I just find an appropriate non-safety bottle and label it clearly in indelible ink.

Julianne

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks, Bernie. We have a cover-gripper-thingee, too, and that does help with jam and olives and mango spear jars. What we are having trouble with are the "safety" caps. The last brand of mouth wash we had required squeezing the sides of the cap while turning. (Bleach comes that way, too.) The brand we have now requires pushing down on the cap while turning. Yeah, right.

I would think that there would be a market for easy-to-open products for people with arthritis in their hands or other impairments, whose households don't include children. Maybe an optional cap that you could purchase separately. Wouldn't that encourage brand loyalty, so that you could use it on the next bottle?

Julianne and Leone, I guess I'll start looking for suitable mouthwash containers that are easy to open. I'm not going to transfer bleach, though. At least Coy doesn't have to open that, and it gives me a chance to practice my more limited-use vocabulary.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:09 pm

LOL! Just you and the bleach bottle, Jeanne! Say whatever you want!

Julianne

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Jeanne, try the cover gripper thingee, I understand the problem. This is what I use on all safety caps, bleach, mouth wash. If you have to squeeze the sides do it with the cover gripper thingee. Find the sides you squeeze, place the gripper over it and turn. It opens right up. This is what I use for everything. I have several of them. It works for me, hope it works for you. Bernie

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]