View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 "Don't Forget Yourself" 

Post Re: "Don't Forget Yourself"
It may be very valid, Pat S. Many of us just don't know what it means, so it loses something in a short list like this with no explanation.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Pat,
Thanks for giving an explanation of what confronting your emotions means to you and your husband. I'm so glad counseling is working for you both and making your relationship stronger.
Robin

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:31 pm

A note about jargon:

Part of my professional role is to be a translator or interpreter between people who speak business jargon and people who speak technical jargon, so that the technical people have some hope of providing what the business people need. I'm a consultant and one of the first things I have to do at a new client site is learn the local jargon.

Every field of human activity has its own jargon. I decorate cakes. My decorating buddies know what I mean when I say I'm going to torte the layers, level and crumb coat the cake, and stack the tiers. Do you? :roll: Some fields seem to take pride in a large body of esoteric terms that mystify the unitiated.

Certain types of counselors, people who have seen those counselors or read books by them speak about "validating your emotions" and "confronting my emotions." That's fine. But people outside of that select circle may need a few clues before they can really follow that kind of jargon.

Writers need to be careful not to lock readers out or turn them off by using jargon they might not be familiar with, without explanation. This list from Home Instead is good, but I wouldn't give the authors an A on that particular aspect. I think we are poking gentle fun at the special term, not at what it means.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Very well said, Jeanne. I teach an adult class at church and religious 'jargon' is a perfect example. :roll: I know we were kidding around with the 'jargon' in the article. Sometimes, poking fun at something is entertaining and those of us who are in the trenches need entertainment! We can use all we can get.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:12 am

I agree, Leone. And I have always liked to poke fun at pop-psych jargon. I love the Geico commercial about the psychiatrist. :lol:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:26 am

Jeanne, you make a good point. Jargon can get in the way of complete communication and create problems. So can all those shortcut letter names we tend to give phrases we often repeat.
When I first came to this forum, I could not for the life of me figure out what "LO" meant. Finally, the light bulb went on and I knew it was Loved One.
The same thing happened with "SNF". I finally went and googled it to find out what kind of nursing facility it stood for. Now I have forgotten again, because it is a term I am not having to deal with yet on my journey.
We all tend to do it. I was an educator, and they are prolific with jargon.
Clarification is always a good thing. If you are questioning something, you can bet that a lot of others are doing the same thing. So we should just ask when we are unsure.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Right, Pat! I remember when my kids first started using LOL on emails. I remember that I guessed 'lots of luck' but I was wrong.... :oops:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Leone, with all of us dealing with Sir Lewy, Lots of Luck is more appropriate. :lol: Bernie

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2