View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hiring yourself at $200.00 per day 

Post Hiring yourself at $200.00 per day
As of about six weeks ago, my husband, Dale, became unable to stand - let alone walk. He is delusional most of the time. He calls out in the night disrupting my sleep. He has difficulty feeding himself. He is totally dependent on me. He requires care all day long. He is no longer the companion he once was. The idea of 'placing him' in a 'home' was suggested by friends and family.

At first, I considered the idea - and then my sister made a comment which has been a great help to me and my mental attitude. She said, "Why not think of caregiving as a job? There are few jobs that will pay a 75 year old woman $200.00 per day."

Suddenly, taking care of Dale became a full-time job that I didn't mind doing. I was getting paid handsomely for doing it. My sense of self-worth suddenly changed. I employed people to help me and the total cost is much less than I would be paying to 'place' Dale somewhere.

He is happy. He loves being in his own home and he loves me for wanting him here. It's nice to be appreciated. Full time caregiving became my job title ... and that's OK with me. I like earning money again. :P

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Post Re: Hiring yourself at $200.00 per day
What a great change in attitude!

Just remember to hire those helpers, too. And, no matter what you are getting paid, remember to respect your own limits, espcially for things like lifting.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Leone, there's no doubt that what you are doing has tremendous value! I agree with Jeanne, though, that you still need to take care of yourself, too.

Julianne

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:52 pm

i have family in ohio.. and i know the state will pay to take care of a family member.. and they pay well... there is nothing like that here.. but my mil watches her gdaughter, who is paralyzed and blind and a friend of theres, watches her mother, who has alzhiemers.. the both get paid.. there are classses and lots of forms.. but it allows the lo to be home with loving family members.
not sure if its in any other states??
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Good for you, Leone!! Great attitude and approach! I love thinking of it that way, too.
I agree with Jeanne. Respecting your own limits will keep you both happier.
I do not resent or miss a single penny spent to make our home a better haven for John. One day, that may include hiring people to work with him directly.
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Cindi, in Minnesota if you are in a program that pays for people to come into your home and help you, you can choose to have a qualified family member do it for pay. If an occupational therapist comes in, the family member would have to be a qualified OT. But for skills that a person can learn quickly or already has, this program sensibly pays family members as they would pay a stranger. For example, my 90 YO mother is eligble for a housekeeper a few hours a week. We have not been satisfied with the quality of the work performed. My brother is disabled but can handle housekeeping chores very well. We asked if he could do it. We were given a list of the agencies Ma's county uses. We checked out the requirements for each and picked one. The county told the agency that they had a placement for him if he was hired, he applied, the agency did their background checks and gave him an orientation. He now cleans Ma's apartment for the same rate of pay the other person was getting. He is doing a super job, and it is a good deal for everyone.

If a LO is eligible for some services through the county, state, or insurance program, it is well worth inquiring whether a family member can perform the services for pay.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Leone,
Great approach! I'm wondering how you manage to move Dale from bed, etc. if he is no longer able to stand? I hope you have someone coming in to help with the lifting. I fell with Ken the first night he came home (in October) and herniated 2 discs in my neck which is only getting worse, not better. I'm just saying BE CAREFUL!! Although we no longer have any privacy, I really am glad I have caregivers coming in to help every day. One day at a time! Sher

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Dale is now in a hospital bed. He is no longer able to stand and walk to the toilet. I wouldn't dare move him out of the bed without help. He faints too easily.

I have learned the technics of 'rolling him' in order to change his bed, etc. The Physical Therapist is showing me how to 'exercise' him in the bed. I bathe and feed him in bed... just as in a hospital. Since I have someone coming in every day, I am far from alone.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]