View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Aroma therapy? 

Post Aroma therapy?
The description under Treatment Options is Share your experience with, and knowledge about, medications, natural remedies, and different therapy options like physical, occupational, aroma and music.

I smile at aroma therapy. Coy can no longer smell anything so I doubt aroma therapy would do much for him. But I'm curious, do any of you use this for yourselves? Do you find this helpful for calming, or energizing yourself? Inquiring minds want to know! :P

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Post Re: Aroma therapy?
Dale has never been able to smell and he has a limited ability to taste. He puts salt and salsa on everything. I always thought it was because his mother was a chain smoker. Obviously, I didn't know that lack of smell is one of the early signs of Lewy.

He told me at the beginning of our relationship not to bother with perfume because he couldn't smell it. However, I use it for myself. I don't waste money on fancy candles though.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:28 pm

Loss of sense of smell happens in several neurodegenerative disorders, including the Lewy body disorders (PD, DLB, PDD).

There's an old post here about exactly which scents are hard for those with PD to discern. Seems like it's licorice, bananas, and a few other things.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Just to clarify, I'm asking about caregivers who use aroma therapy for themselves, not for the LO.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Jeanne, I use the Bath and Body aromatherapy "Eucalyptus Mint" in cream, lotion, bath gel, body spray, and pillow mist (great for when company is coming!).
I even gave some to my massage therapist so she could use it on me and she just loved it. That was when they made it as a massage cream.
My massage therapist also uses other things for aromatherapy on my back, but I am not sure what scents.
I find the B&B stuff very relaxing.
Also, when my first grandson was born, my daughter used a lavender scented baby bath product and I fell in love with that. It relaxes me and makes me have happy thoughts about grandbabies whenever I smell lavender now. :P
Supposedly our memories are very connected to our sense of smell, so why not use aromas that relax and refresh us? Caregivers need every single tool they can think of to make the day good!
Take care,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Gee.... you are all making me realize how much I've been missing. What is pillow mist? It does sound like something I would like.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:52 pm

I use essential oils for various things, like to get rid of headaches and also for relaxation. There are oils for energizing but that doesn't seem to be an issue for me. The massage therapist I used to see also did aromatherapy so she got me started on it. The oils I use for headaches work just as well as some fairly strong medication I used to take, but with nice fragrances and no side effects. Pretty amazing, really.

Julianne

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Quote:
Supposedly our memories are very connected to our sense of smell
The scent of Old Spice still conjures up my first boyfriend and I've always associated it with masculinity. I don't care for any other scent on men.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Lots of people swear by lavendar for relaxing. I often see spray bottles of a light lavendar spray for linens. I bought some for my aunt who was having trouble falling asleep and she felt it helped her. Hope it works if you try it. Lynn

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]