View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 "Take care of yourself" -- how? 

Post "Take care of yourself" -- how?
If you are like me, you have been told "take care of yourself!" dozens, maybe hundreds, and for some of us thousands of times. And we know that we should. And we even tell that to each other. But what does that mean, specifically?

Please help me with some homework. I need to come up with a list of things I do/can do/should do to "take care of myself." I'll start with a couple of obvious ones. I think it would be interesting to get one or two items from each of you. I know they won't all apply to me. Practicing the tuba might be healing for you, but I'll pass on that one, for example. 8)

Ways to take care of me
    Get more exercise. Have some physical activity each day
    Take pills on time each day

Now it's your turn ...

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Post Re: "Take care of yourself" -- how?
Get medical and dental checkups and follow advice given
Spend some time alone for reflection
Maintain connections with friends and family
Communicate with friends and family about what you are going through
Reserve time for your own interests and arrange respite care for that time
Take the time to nurture yourself with healthy food, preferably slow meals
Find safe ways to vent frustrations

Julianne

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Those are a good start! I found that, even though I never forgot my husband's medications I would often find two or even three days of mine still in their 'box'. Getting outdoors and getting exercise were the most important things I did, after getting a two-morning-a-week caregiver to make that possible.

I got a Rx for Xanax 'as needed for anxiety' and, though I seldom had to take it, and only took 1/2 a tablet, it was great knowing it was there. I still have it.

Don't keep trying to lift/move your LO beyond your capacity. Get yourself a mechanical lift or hire an aide. I didn't follow this advice at all and have paid dearly for it.

Finally had to put him in a nursing home. :cry:

PS: Not sure about talking to friends and family about what you're going through. I did that before finding the forums and probably bored them to death. They can't possibly understand. Talk to us, instead! :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Get enough sleep. If nothing else, give your LO to God and sleep. Nan

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Accept help when offered and come here to vent.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Keep your hair neat and the way you like it.

DrP

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Don't listen when others want to tell you how to take care of yourself. Do it your way. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty. 8)

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Leone wrote:
Do it your way.

Like get your pink-and-whites regularly? 8)

I'm going to have a great list! Keep 'em coming!

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Yes, Jeanne ..... and don't forget the dark chocolate!!! Is anyone going to join me for a glass of wine tonight?

Decorate your environment for the holidays. I just got all the Valentine Frogs out of storage. Dale and I had fun seeing them again. Many have musical innards.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Jeanne - playing the tuba was the first thing that came to my mind!!! just kidding.
Here's a really, really basic one, but one I actually have to remind my self a lot, especially when I was under extreme stress -
BREATHE!!! - take a few long, slow, deep breaths when you are in anyour anxious state.
Look up - really, look up towards the ceiling or sky. Someone told me one time that it at least temporarily gives your body a little lift from depression and dispair.
Do something with your hands at least a little bit each day, if you are someone who likes to make things (make bread, sew, draw, something that you enjoy) OR, if you hate doing things with your hands, do something cerebral, like puzzles, games, reading, riddles, etc.
Close your eyes and picture yourself in a place you've been where you felt at peace, or a place you'd like to go sometime that seems like it would be very relaxing. Take a few min. in another room, a quiet place to do this.
Get a yoga or other calming sort of exercise video. (still on my to do list!)
And come back to the forum again and again for whatever reason you need to! Lynn

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:57 pm

Leone wrote:
Is anyone going to join me for a glass of wine tonight?
Unfortunately, not me. :cry: Two different drugs I take preclude using alcohol. Coy usually has his wine in the afternoon. It is one of the few pleasures he can enjoy that I can't.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Would love to join you in a glass of wine but I've found it makes my heart go into Afib, and the cardiologist just took me off the Beta Blocker I was on for 13 mo. Had a glass of champagne last night and after 4 hours of being in and out of arrhythmia, I decided I'm going to go for quite a while with no wine (or any alcohol) and see if that keeps my heart beating properly. I'd really LOVE a glass right now. Have one for me Leone & others. Lynn

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:03 pm

I just remembered another one. ..... Drink an 8 ounce glass of water every morning first thing. It's just a good habit to have. Most of us tend to be dehydrated.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:06 pm

No alcohol for me, either. But I'll join you in an imaginary toast. :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Let the wind comb your hair, you will surprised how great it feels. Bernie

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next