View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 A simple sleep aid -- for me! 

Post A simple sleep aid -- for me!
I am having sleep problems. No, not from getting up multiple times each night to supervise Coy -- been there, done that, am not doing it now. Ironically having gotten past that hurdle I'm now having problems of my own. (Not fair ... grrrrr...) I am seeing a doctor and taking several measures to try to resolve this.

I keep reading about the importance of sleeping in a dark, quiet environment. Quiet we manage and I didn't think the light bothered me. But I noticed one night when the nightlight burned out it really did seem easier to sleep. Coy needs the room fairly light for his trips to the bathroom, but I picked up a sleep mask in a $1 bin at Target. Hey! That thing works! It really is easier to sleep in darkness! It is by no means the complete solution for me, but everything helps.

In case you need to sleep in a not-dark room, it might be worth a try. And if you don't like it, give it to a family with young children, for pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey games. 8)

(And, yeah, I know, why didn't I think of this months ago? If you're smarter than I was and have been using a mask all along, feel free to gloat.)

Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Post Re: A simple sleep aid -- for me!
Jeanne - I have always been very light-sensitive, so when there is a full moon outside or for whatever reason it isn't totally dark, I wear a mask. I also use ear plugs too because I am a very light sleeper and any slight noise usually wakes me up. Glad you found something to help. Lynn

Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Jeanne and Lynn, those are good ideas.
My problem was the same as Lynn's, and I tried ear plugs, but they did not work for me. What did work was a "white noise" CD of a waterfall that plays over and over all night long on a small CD player set on "repeat" mode.
John can even sleep in the same room with me better with it on because it tends to cover his random noises and smaller movements.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:53 am

I had one of those too Pat, and it was great till it just died one day. It was only about $11 at Radio Shack. I don't know if you've tried the kind of earplugs that are kind of like a plastic putty. They are sold to keep water out of your ears when swimming. I cannot use the foam ones - I can feel them expanding all night and they drive me crazy. But the bright orange or pink ones for children, made by Mack's, are great. I tear one in half and put half of one in each ear. I have been using them for about 8 years almost every night. Most Walmarts around the country have them, but I stockpile boxes of them because sometimes I can't find them at the local grocery or pharmacy where I prefer to shop.
I can just see my kids cleaning out my house some day after I'm gone saying "Why did mom have all these boxes of unused earplugs?" LOL Lynn

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:54 pm

And if that is the biggest mystery they have to deal with after you're gone, Lynn, I'd say you lead an exemplary and/or boring life! :shock:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Oh yes Jeanne, both exemplary AND boring!!! No, not boring - I hate being bored. They will also have to clean out tons of art paraphernalia from every hobby I've ever had. The school art dept. and home ec. (or whatever they call sewing these days) will be very happy to have all the stuff I've accumulated!!! And books.... and paintings.... To say nothing of the thousands of travel photos and other stuff I've collected from far and wide! What will they do with all my junk????! Lynn

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Lynn, I was using those awful foam ones, and you are right. They do feel like they are expanding all night long.
I might try the Macks if I can find them. I am still not sure if I can tolerate my ears being plugged up, though.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:15 am

I have randomly found the Mack's earplugs in local (non-chain) pharmacies, local grocery stores & Walmarts throughout the country. I also take them on planes in case there are whining/screaming children near me who have parents that don't know how to parent, if you know what I mean! I've handed them out to fellow travelers who have been MOST grateful when they've tried them. Hope you can find some. If not, send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you some. Lynn

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks, Lynn! (And, yes, I know what you mean about those parents on airplanes.)

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]