View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Made big--and sad--decision today! 

Post Re: Made big--and sad--decision today!
mockturtle wrote:
... but their knees and hips weren't locked in a bent position. Makes a huge difference.
Dale's knees and hips seem to be 'locked' in either a bent position or he is straight as a board and he can't sit. All flexibility is gone.

This morning, he really scared me. I was transferring him from bed to wheelchair and he stood, grabbed his left armrest of the wheelchair and tried to go down on the wheelchair stiff as a board. It's not the first time.

At other times, he lies on the bed with his knees bent and he seems to appreciate having me press his legs down. He cannot do it by himself.

He is doing better walking this week... but he counts his steps. The act of counting seems to help him move his feet.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:38 am

Have either of you noticed their legs going from totally stiff like steel and bent one minute, to completely flacid the next? That was my dad for about a year. Bent knees and hips, unable to bend or straighten, then as limp as wet spaghetti. He was a 2-person transfer for at least a year because of this. Lynn

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Yes, Lynn, that's exactly how it is! I'm assuming the signals sometimes get through too strongly and sometimes not at all. That's why transferring him is so unpredictable. One of the main obstacles is his inability to move his feet. They have to be manually picked up and moved--hard work, too, again because of the stiffness. The increased Sinemet does not seem to have helped him at all so I'm thinking of asking the doctor to put the dose back where it was. If it's not helping, it's probably just increasing his delusions.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:41 pm

I know what you mean about picking up his feet to move them. Whenever I tried to put my dad's feet up on the footrests of his WC, I hoped his knees and ankles would bend. Many, many times I thought his legs were going to break at the knee or ankle. If I didn't put his feet up, he'd drag them on the ground and his feet would be bent sideways. It was awful. I'd try pulling his WC backwards so I didn't hurt his feet but he didn't like that at all. Sometimes, you just can't win. :roll: Lynn

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:09 pm

mockturtle wrote:
The increased Sinemet does not seem to have helped him at all so I'm thinking of asking the doctor to put the dose back where it was. If it's not helping, it's probably just increasing his delusions.
In Dale's case, there is no question that the Sinemet is increasing the delusions but I am amazed at the periods of mobility that have returned. He isn't always mobile, but I am so glad when he is. Today, he was able to stand in the shower again.

I can't trust him to be mobile, however. I will never again allow him to walk to the kitchen, for instance. Three falls there are enough.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8