View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 IPad as tool for early stage patients 

Post IPad as tool for early stage patients
Our son gave us an IPad for Christmas.

John, my husband, was diagnosed in 2007 and is still in Stage One. He is a technophobe, but he has picked up the IPad several times and seems to be enjoying it. (Family is all surprised and pleased at this development!)

I think the simplified format that involves just touching what you want to see or do helps him feel more relaxed with it. If he gets confused all he has to do is touch one button to return to the home screen.

Also we have told him that he is not going to break it and all data is easily retrievable since it is based on our home computer and the Apple Store. In addition to that it is easy to make the print large for ease in reading.

I am looking forward to seeing what apps John relates to and enjoys.

If you have a loved one in Stage One, it might be worth it to look at a friend's IPad to see if it is a tool that can provide some cognitive stimulation.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Post Re: IPad as tool for early stage patients
I'm amazed that a technophobe is interested in the iPad. I do think the ability to change the font size such that reading can become enjoyable again is a wonderful benefit.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Robin, we in the family were pleasantly surprised, too!
Some of it may be that our children and even grandchildren were enjoying it with ease and John was curious. It was vital that we all encouraged him and reassured him that it was EASY and hard to break.
He sat next to our son when he gave me an intro to it. I asked our son to go very slowly so John could see how to do things as well. It seemed to work.
I think having no mouse to deal with and having only one operation showing and available at one time helps. That is a big difference compared to a computer.
Take care,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:39 pm

Sounds like a great idea!
My dad loved it when I took my laptop and gave him slide shows of trips, the grandchildren, family get togethers. He couldn't have moved his hands at the time to do anything, even with an iPad but it gave him something different to do and engage in.
The iPad is such an incredible thing, isn't it? I love the GPS on it. Lynn

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:06 am

My niece wanted to send my mother a digital frame for Christmas and she asked me in early November if that was a good idea. I told her yes, IF she could find one that was really, really easy to operate. So she sent one that, in her young, techno mind, was really, really easy to operate. Meanwhile, my mother progressed to not being able to operate the TV remote, which of course is such a familiar object. Of course, there was no way she could master the digital frame. I felt terrible about telling my niece it didn't work. She had spent a lot of time loading all of these family photos on it. And my mother rejected it on sight--didn't even want it in her room, for whatever reason, not even so I could show her the photos on it. She was quite adamant. So back it went. It was so sad because it was symbolic of her ever shrinking world. Too bad I didn't have an iPad for her before she got past the point of using it!

Julianne

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]