View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Neat trick with disposable briefs 

Post Neat trick with disposable briefs
Learned a neat trick from an aide this morning at Derek's SNF. If you need to change their briefs and don't want to have to remove their pants & shoes, you pull one side down through the pants leg and off the foot, pull it up at the top and down through the other pants leg. To put on another pair, put the leg hole around one foot then thread the whole brief up through the pants leg, then down the other, then around the foot, then pull them up [and hope one leg hole is not twisted backwards!]. It's a bit awkward but it works. I wouldn't remove poopy briefs like this--of course. Then you just rip the sides open and remove them.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Post Re: Neat trick with disposable briefs
It does sound difficult to do, Pat. Dale is so unable to cooperate physically now. But I can see how not removing shoes, sox, and pants would be helpful. It's nice you are learning. It looks like you are getting good value... :P Please keep it coming.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm trying to picture this - does this mean you have to bend their one leg a lot? I'm thinking this will only work if their legs can still be bent at the knee and ankle.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:13 pm

When she demonstrated it this morning, he was sitting on the toilet but you could do it in bed, too, I suppose. The pants have to be pulled down.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:59 pm

I don't know Pat, sounds like it might be easier to remove the shoes and pants. Frank only wears depends to bed so he's undressing at night, so no pants and in the morning we're getting him naked for a shower. I will try to remember for the future.

It sounds like Derek is "OK", so hopefully you are getting some needed rest.

Take Care,
Gerry

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:06 pm

One brand of briefs have tabs on the sides like a diaper, can't remember the brand but saw it at the grocery store. I intend on looking for them next time I go shopping. Bernie

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:44 pm

The kinds with tabs, though, can't be pulled down to use the toilet so we use the 'pull-up briefs. They are more like regular 'briefs'.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:02 pm

The Depends pull-up type are easy to rip at the sides for removal, then the trick with removing one shoe and pant leg then slipping them over the other shoe and pant leg works to put on a new one without much hassle (no leg bending necessary if seated). Our new 'trick' is to use the pull ups but to line it with the tab-type brief. I rip off the tabs (they're hard paper and can poke sometimes) and just line the Depend and when time to change they just pull out and with very few exceptions the depend is still clean to be used again to hold another brief in place. At night I hook the tabs and also use a 3rd liner-type insert. I can't move Ken in the bed by myself so I just replace the inner liner if it is wet before I go to bed. Even that doesn't always get us thru until 7 AM when the caregiver gets here. Any better suggestions out there? Thanks, Sher

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:27 pm

Right now we are using the Tena briefs. Although there are times he doesn't like them for some Lewy reason. When I question him why, he has no answer. Lately he has been wearing his tidy whitetie with boxers over them. All that means for me is laundry, laundry, laundry. Thanks for the input Pat about the tabed ones. In other words don't waste my money. Bernie

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:21 am

BernieD wrote:
In other words don't waste my money.

You made me smile, Bernie... In the days before Dale decided he wanted to wear a condom catheter, we tried a variety of disposable briefs. We must have every style in packages stowed away for some future day. I kept thinking as we were buying them that there must be a better design somewhere! It is obvious that the designers of these things never actually wear them! :evil:

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:30 am

The Tenas fit him the best but are the most expensive and the crotch is too narrow. I buy Depends male pull-up briefs. When he has problems with urine bypassing the catheter it leaks out where the tubing is so I extend the width of the crotch with a Depends 'male guard'. This also helps with small stool accidents and just the 'guard' needs to be changed, not the pull-ups.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:27 am

Thank you for the infor Pat, I will try the Depends and and buy some liners. That is if Fran will wear them. Bernie

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 am

I do not have a neat trick to divulge, but, I do have a recommendation for a disposable brief. We've tried many many brands, and find that TRANQUILITY PULL UPS are very good. They make an OVERNIGHT MODEL, and a DAYTIME model. I get them from MAGIC MEDICAL, 1-877-245-7148. There are 72 in a case, and the case is $66 plus. with free shipping. If you order more than one case you also get a $3 plus discount on each case....haven't found a price to beat it. Service is also very good.

I've also found that cutting the briefs off are easier than trying to slide down a soaking brief. I hope this will be helpful to some of you. I've gotten a number of helps from you-all...thanks,
Marcia

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:54 pm

Marcia, that does sound like a good price. Anything under $1/per is good.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Pat, when I first read you 'trick' I thoght that sounds impossible. But I tried it and it worked!!!! So neat. Of course I when I tried to get the second foot through I did exactly what you said and got the depend twsited. {chuckle} But it was so fast. However, when he is wearing his sneakers, it is harder with the shoes on. By the way, I bought very inexpensive sneakers at Walmart ($12) that have the velcro closures. They have been such a help.

I only wish I knew all these tricks to make caring for my husband easier. I am learning but learning through trial and error. Wish I had someone to just come and show me a better way to do things. I have been trying to shower him and just get soaked myself in the process.

This sure is some disease!

Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next