View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Arranging for Respite Care 

Post Re: Arranging for Respite Care
I suggest giving up on the bathing battle! Bed-baths can be wonderful. I wish we had transitioned to them sooner.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Post Giving a bed bath
Robin.... Do you have literature on the topic of 'giving a bed bath'? I don't see anything posted here and would like to be educated. Dale is still taking showers but I can see that day coming.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:03 pm

I find that the most frustrating thing about this SNF is lack of continuity of staff. [This has also been true with hospital stays in the past few years]. He never has the same nurse or aide two days in a row, even though they are on the floor. I will see one in the hall and ask something and they will respond, "Oh, I'm not working that section today. I think it might be Judy". Why would you change patient assignments so often? Surely, the more familiar an aide or nurse is with a patient and his care plan the better and more efficient the care??

As a home health RN I carried my own caseload and I saw my patients from admission to discharge so that was a different situation. But I seem to remember that, even when I worked in the hospital, there was an effort to keep some continuity of care. Has anyone else observed this where their LO is?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:08 am

Perhaps the changes are deliberate.... so no one person gets blamed for anything that goes wrong. Sounds good to me. :lol:

Maybe classroom teachers should be rotated too. That way, no one could be blamed for anything there.... Interesting idea.

I can see that carried out in lots of different areas. How about a different President every day instead of every four years? :roll:

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:15 am

Pat,
Back in June when I had surgery I went from ICU for 4 days then to a Cardiac unit for next 8 days I never had the same nurse 2 days in a row and another thing I noticed was there were no CNA's, my daughter seemed to think it was because I never went into a reg room, each morning they wrote their name on a board and she/he was your nurse for the day!

Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:01 pm
Profile WWW

Pat - last year when my dad was in the hosp., then 3 weeks at a SNF for rehab, and then at his ALF, there was almost continual change in staff in all 3 places. This is really hard on the patients, and dementia patients in particular IMHO.
I think at least part of the reasoning in the ALF was:
1. the same CG doesn't get "stuck with" the most difficult resident 2 shifts in a row
2. they want all the CGs to know all the residents
3. they don't want favoritism happening (thus we weren't allowed to give Christmas presents to ANY of the employees this year)
I understand this reasoning, but it does make it much more difficult for the patients, unless the patient is stuck with a CG they don't like (reason #4 I suppose!)
My dad absolutely loved some of his CGs, and some of them just walking in the room would cause him to ball up his fists and shake them and look at me like I was supposed to know why he hated them coming in his room. 2 of his CGs whom he liked the best requested changes in their schedules so that one could be with him during the day and the other would come on the 3 - 11 shift, so he usually had someone he really liked with him. These women were saints. They were so good with him, and luckily they got approval to do this even though they liked working together.
It is very frustrating for our LOs with to have to get used to new people all the time. Lynn

Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:29 pm

Gosh, I hadn't though of that! Maybe they draw straws at change of shift and the loser gets my husband! :lol: Actually, he was being very uncooperative today but he DID get a shower! :P I was gone all morning getting the car fixed but with him all afternoon. He is unable to follow simple commands much of the time now--I don't think it's a comprehension issue but a processing/implementation issue. I'm getting really scared that I'm not going to be able to take care of him. We tried to transfer him to the toilet using the stand-to-sit and he fought it tooth and nail. :cry: Even these devices demand a level of cooperation.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:14 pm

When my dad would get uncooperative and combative, I used to pray he didn't get kicked out of the ALF or moved to their dementia unit. And, I felt so sorry for the CGs who had to take care of him when he was like that. I'm glad he wasn't like that with all of them, and even though he is gone, I still get calls from some of his CGs that became like family members to us. What a great group of people!
You're right about the level of cooperation in using various tools and techniques. My dad couldn't process how to move his legs and feet in getting him transferred for example, especially in and out of the car. It was a nightmare trying to get him moved. He just couldn't get it together to understand the directions and be able to implement them so I know what you mean. A couple of months ago some PT thought it would be a good idea to get a bar hung over his bed so he could pull himself up and help with transferring. He couldn't understand what the guy was telling him to do and he was so weak there was no way he could pull himself up. I think the expectation level was way to high for him at that point. He had no muscle left and no upper body coordination. Lynn

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:26 pm

Another delay! :cry: NO ONE in the whole area rents sit-to-stand devices so we'll have to buy one. And there are some that are less expensive than the kind they use in the SNF although everyone says to get an electric one, not a hydraulic one, for smoother operation, and I think that will be important for his feeling of safety and security.

Medicare will apparently partly pay for one but will need the doctor's Rx which ordinarily would be no problem but we found out just today that his doctor, his PCP, whom we dearly love and who has been our angel, has resigned from the clinic and gone back to Cuba!!!! Holy cow, we just saw him about a week ago! And the doctor who will be taking his patients won't start until after the first of the year so we are stuck on hold right now unless the nurse practitioner who also works there can order one for him. She will be in tomorrow. Still hoping to bring him home this week but it's looking a little less likely. :|

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 pm

Pat, I am sorry for all you are going through, and on top of that to lose your PCP. It is terrible. I know what our PCP means to us. We have known him for many years. Think positive, hopefully you won't have to explain LBD to him. Good luck. I also can't believe you are forced to buy your medical equipment. What a racket.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:06 am

So sorry for this latest challenge, Pat. The responsibilities are never-ending, are they? Will your medical insurance pay for part of the equipment? Lynn

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Pat,
I am sorry for yet another delay, I guess everything happens for a reason! Maybe they will be able to get it ordered tomorrow!

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:59 pm
Profile WWW

Leone -
The best resource on giving a bed bath is here:
http://www.bathingwithoutabattle.unc.edu/
Robin

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks, Robin. I found nine used copies on Amazon for $21.50 ea. That's better than the $50. to $60. new. I think I'll wait to buy it until I'm sure Dale can't use the shower chair. He still enjoys his shower.... so there is no 'battle' there. :P I was afraid Dale was in bed permanently .... but today, he is much more mobile again. Lewy, bah.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:56 pm

Today I paid up at the SNF through January 7. I had planned to bring him back
home by Christmas after a week of respite for my back but finding the
sit-to-stand has been ridiculously hard. I will be buying one through the SNF
but at least--I think--I get it wholesale. He can no longer walk nor stand but
can bear weight so the S2S works great at the SNF and should be just the thing
for home. Trouble is, depending on where it has to be shipped from, it could be
at least another week. :-( I wish I could say I was cavorting and frolicking
and having a great time but, in fact, I spend most of the day at the SNF doing
much of his care, feeding him, bringing his laundry home to wash. But at least
my back is better. :-)

I'll probably take him back to the SNF in the spring for a week or two if they
have a room so I can go visit my mother. Probably take the motorhome and do
some other visiting, too, while I'm at it.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next