View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Has anyone used Nutrisystem for weight loss for Loved One? 

Post Has anyone used Nutrisystem for weight loss for Loved One?
John needs to lose about 20 pounds to lose his sleep apnea and get better quality sleep. We have purchased Nurtrisystem for him for the next couple of months.
He has been more dizzy since starting it. Does anyone have a similar experience or know anything about how if might impact him other that losing the weight?

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:12 pm

Post Dizziness and weight gain or loss
I know absolutely nothing about Nutrisystem but I have watched Dale's weight fluctuate during the course of his illness. When he was first on Sinemet and Seroquel (August 09), he gained so much that we needed to buy new, larger slacks for him toward the end of 2009. He has now lost the weight he gained and his pants are too large. I suspect the reaction to the meds may have caused the weight gain - because he eats about the same amount.

You also mentioned dizziness. That was the symptom that caused him to seek an answer from a long succession of probably six neurologists through the years from 2002 to 2009 - when we finally had a diagnosis.

He had a car accident that was his fault. I knew his dizziness made him a terrible driver and I always drove. (I should have pushed to make him stop driving - but we didn't know what was wrong.) He finally gave up the keys when we had the diagnosis. The neurologist just calmly said, "You know you shouldn't be driving."

He no longer complains about dizziness. He has rarely fallen - though he stumbled badly this week and caught himself. He still does not use a cane or walker - though we have both for him. In fact, he can walk almost normally if he decides he wants to 'show off.' :lol:

Because I want to look good for my grandson's wedding in July, I've served smaller portions to both of us recently. We eat a lot of salads. However, Dale still gets his ice cream and fruit. Life has to have some pleasure. Right?

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:22 am

Post Re: Has anyone used Nutrisystem for weight loss for Loved On
pat
i'm sure not a doc..so only guessing here.. but the first few days coming off sugar, can be rough.. not sure if it would cause dizziness..is there is any diabetics involved??
maybe the nutrisystems folks, can check with their company doc and see if they've had any previous problems before, or any suggestions..

good luck!!
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Cindi .... Your post sent me to the index looking for 'dizziness' and there are quite a number of posts where it seems that one of the symptoms of LBD is dizziness.

It's my impression that in the early days of this disease, many with LBD have dizziness as a primary symptom. Dale's dizziness was not associated with diabetes, UTI, or a middle ear infection. It was also not 'low blood sugar.'

In fact, one of the neurologists he consulted sent him away with Cymbalta... saying, "Here, try this." He could find no good medical reason for Dale's complaint of dizziness so he gave him something to treat depression.

Obviously, we went looking for another doctor. :evil:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:12 pm

The sugar change was my first guess, but then at the doctor's office the other day, John's blood pressure was fairly low. It reminded me that it had been low for quite a while.
Then the doctor said John had lost 14 pounds since January, which is good. But now he may not need as much blood pressure meds. So she took him off his evening pill.
Today he was definitely less dizzy, so I think we might have found the culprit---too much medicine for his current weight. The lower sugar in Nutrisystem food probably just made it a little more noticeable.
We are happy and pleased to have one less pill to swallow each day!!!
Thanks for the concern, friends!

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:30 am

Comment here, I don't know anything about the nutrisystem but this past June I had to under go a 7.5 hour Aorta Bi-femeral bypass before surgery I was on 5 BP pills because I have uncontrolable BP, after coming home my BP was bottoming out, I could barely stand but the nurse that was coming assumed it was the trama of the surgery and recovery but it turned out I had to be taken off all BP meds for a few weeks and slowly started and right now I am up to 3 per day but I also lost a good amount of weight, so I would say the weigh loss could be the reason for the dizzyness with the lower sugar from the weight loss program! Just guessing here !

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]