View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Eating and Diet Choices with Early LBD 

Post Eating and Diet Choices with Early LBD
A Mediterranean diet was suggested as a first line of defense by the Duke neurologist who first diagnosed John’s LBD, and I understand that there is some substantive research backing up his recommendation. At worst, all the family will be eating a more healthy and well balanced diet, and it will keep the caregiver in better shape at the same time. This approach to eating stresses less red meat, more fresh vegetables and fish, olive oil, and red wine. It is close to the South Beach diet approach.
One of the simplest diet solutions is to set up your plate so that half of it is covered with green and other bright colored vegetables, one fourth has a lean protein, and one fourth has a half cup of starch.
I have noticed that John seems to be more alert and feels better when he eats a healthier diet.
To simplify shopping, when you go to the grocery store, stick mainly to the perimeter of the store and avoid the center where all the processed food is on the shelves. Better yet, go to the farmer’s market and buy local, fresh, organic food. Also frozen vegetables may retain more nutrients than canned ones.
But part of my personal advice is that every now and then, just splurge. My mother said that after my grandmother died she wished that she had let Granny have whatever she wanted sometime. Life is short.

1. Eat a Mediterranean diet with fresh veggies, fish, olive oil, and red wine.
2. Set up your plate so it is half green or bright veggies, one fourth lean protein, one fourth starch.
3. Shop the perimeter of the store avoiding processed foods.
4. Occasionally splurge to add some fun to life.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Post Re: Eating and Diet Choices with Early LBD
We've been eating this type of diet for several years now, Pat, and, while I can't say for sure it's kept my husband healthier, he has certainly held his own, his labs are always good and I've kept my weight down, too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Having lived on Cyprus in the Mediterranean for almost five years (93-97), I can second the motion. You do not see overweight people there.

Breakfast is soup. Often it's chicken with rice. We ate a lot of Greek village salad. However, their specialty is a Meza. It's a meal with up to 20 small courses served in successive order. The courses are usually various types of fish. They customarily eat dinner at 10 pm - after the sun goes down.

They take naps in the middle of the day from 1-3. The shops open again at 4 pm.

Yes, it's a very healthy lifestyle.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:30 pm

Here's another suggestion - grow your own vegetables as much as you can. Then you REALLY know what you are eating and it saves a ton of money, especially if you are purchasing organic vegetables. We freeze and can the excess and give some to the local foodshelf. Lynn

Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm coming to your house, Lynn.... Either that or I'm teaching my gardener to plant something more than flowers. No, I like the idea of eating what you plant. :lol: That'll save me money.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:15 pm

We used to grow our own vegetables. Can't do it now, but my next door neighbor gives us some of hers. Still getting some Swiss chard! This retirement community has two large, fenced garden areas for people who want their own veggies and berries.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:20 pm

How neat! I really need to look for a good place to buy garden fresh produce. I'm not at all happy with our selection right now. The grocery stores are getting much worse about the sources and the age of the produce. I have bought too many things that are just plain old before we eat them. Disgusting! Thanks for the reminder.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm

And the amazing thing is, when you grow your own veggies, many of them keep for quite a long time in the refrig. So long, in fact, it really makes you wonder just how old stuff in the store is before you even buy it. I've had some broccoli in my refrig. for 4 weeks and it looks and tastes just as fresh as when it was picked.
When we travel, we leave with our RV refrig. jammed with fresh veggies from our garden, and when we run out we try to shop at as many farmers' markets as we can. It is also a lot of fun to go there since you never know what else will be happening - everything from live music to arts and crafts and really great people, especially at the California farmers' markets!
I grew up with parents who gardened, and my kids have grown up that way too, so they really appreciate fresh stuff from the garden, and I know they haven't eaten tons of junk from the time they were little.
At least a few tomato plants , if you don't have time for a big garden, can bring such joy to a meal! Have seen lots of flower gardens lately with beautiful veg. plants tucked in artfully - it can be done! Lynn

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Even the upside down planters, we planted one this year and grew 78 tomatoes from it and they were great.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:23 pm
Profile WWW

I'm going to send one of those to my son who lives in Wyoming next spring. Poor guy has been trying to grow tomato plants there for several years. It gets so cold at night and the growing season is so short, it's impossible to grow them in the ground. So he got a big pot, dragged it in and out every day all summer and fall, and I think he got 2 or 3 cherry tomoatoes from it! LOL I felt so badly for him. He loves fresh tomatoes so much and never seems to get home anymore during our tomato season. I'm thinking the upside down ones might work better - we'll see. Maybe I can buy him a CSA share from someone at the Jackson Farmers' Market - now that might be the only way he'll get decent tomatoes!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 pm

You all have inspired me to look for winter veggies to plant at Home Depot today. I was going to plant more flowers, having recently removed the old from a long raised planter in the back yard. I always plant summer veggies but haven't ever tried winter crops, don't even know what grows now. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks! Sher

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:56 am

I envy all you gals with green thumbs. I'll play the piano while you plant. Is it a deal?

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:31 pm

I just love this discussion!! You folks made me laugh out loud several times.
It is inspiring, Sher, isn't it? Makes me want to plant something, too.
PatS

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Lynn,
Our's worked out real well and they were a nice size tomatoe not cherry tomatoes , I just can't think of the name of them but I caution you these planters need a lot of water each day because they drain so quickly! Towards the end of the growing season they started to split and we couldn't use them anymore not sure why.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]