View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Exercise for Early Stage LBD 

Post Exercise for Early Stage LBD
My husband, John, was diagnosed with LBD in June 2007 and remains in early stage LBD. Here are some things we have done to help him stay that way for as long as possible.

Exercise for Early Stage LBD

I have found that, generally speaking, the earlier you address issues, the longer you may retain normal or close to normal function.
When John and I both exercise by using the treadmill, the recumbent bike, or by practicing yoga or some form of stretching, we not only feel better physically, but find that we are in better spirits and have more stamina. Yoga also helps with balance and muscle control.
John saw a physical therapist early to get a regimen of exercises to help with balance and stride.
Another physical therapist told me about a simple inexpensive tool called Dyna-Disc that I found and ordered online. It is like a very thick and fat vinyl pancake with grippers on the bottom. It is easy to use and helps reinforce balance for both of us. John sometimes holds onto the mantle with one hand when he uses it, but shows improvement when he uses it for two to four minutes a day. You basically step onto it and maintain your balance for a minute at first, then gradually lengthen your time up to about five minutes.
I found a good exercise video online called Move It: An Exercise and Movement Guide for Parkinson’s Disease by physical therapist, Kevin Lockette, that has some mobility tips and techniques to improve everyday activity. All levels of Parkinson’s are addressed with non-traditional exercises that can help.

1. Buy some exercise equipment, new or used, that you can have at home for ease and frequency of use.
2. If you cannot purchase equipment, join a local gym and go regularly.
3. Exercise early in the day for maximum benefit.
3. Use yoga DVDs for beginners or seniors to learn basic stretches.
4. Use a tool like the Dyna-Disc to improve balance.
5. Ask your doctor to give you a prescription for physical therapy as soon as any movement symptoms appear after diagnosis.
6. Use two pound weights in/on each hand/wrist to walk around the house. For some reason, this restores stride to normal levels.
7. Seek out DVDs that can help with specific exercises at home.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Post Re: Exercise for Early Stage LBD
I also like Kevin Lockette's DVD and booklet. (I met him at a Parkinson's Disease conference earlier this year.) I think he's coming out with a #2 exercise program soon.

There's another thread here on the LBDA Forum of recommended exercise videos.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:27 pm

I asked at dads ALF today about PT and they said seeing how he is still walking fine though with a slight shuffle it wasn't something they saw as necessary at this time. But I worry about muscle wastage and wonder how to approach this without seeming to tell them how to do their job. The fact there is a chronic shortage of therapists doesn't help matters either.

I mean it's not like you can take a piece of exercise equipment to the ALF and say "Here dad try this"

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:13 am

Kelli,
You can consider hiring people to come in and exercise with your father. We hired a personal fitness trainer for my father to exercise 3 times a week, and then we hired two CNAs for 3 other days of the week. It was Dad's main activity each day.
Robin

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Kelli, my husband also benefits a lot from therapeutic massage therapy. It loosens his tight muscles and has actually restored freedom of movement in his arm and shoulder after a fall that made him stop using the arm. He stands straighter after the massage and walks with more fluidity. It has really helped his feet, which were numb and tingled a lot. Mostly, he feels much better.
Some massage therapists will bring a portable table with them and might be willing to come to your dad.
If you bought the Dyna-Disc, it is only about 12-15 inches across. You could bring that with you on visits for him to practice balance exercise for a couple of minutes.
Just some thoughts that might work for you.
Take care,
PatS

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks for the advice ladies will take it on board. Not sure how to approach getting someone in as would have to put it past mum and see if his health insurance will cover the cost. To be honest I don't think mum will entertain the idea. Today she even rang to tell me she wasn't going to be able to make it to the Xmas dinner the ALF were organising for the 5th of Dec because it was the day before her "Kids Xmas party" and she would be too busy. Wasn't till she checked the time and realized it was actually in the evening she said she would be able to now come though "She may be a little late". Gee I had to count to ten when she came up with that excuse. That was after she told me she couldn't visit dad this weekend because she had to mow the lawn. (Count to ten Kelli). Will google dyna disc and see what it is. Though I have an idea.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:00 am

Insurance never covered the cost of fitness trainers and exercise partners for my dad. Our CPA said we could deduct the charges on Dad's tax return as a medical expense.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:20 am

My dear, sweet Kelli! Are you familiar with the 'Serenity Prayer'?
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

It's not likely you're going to change your mother's behavior and I am concerned that you are going to increase your anxiety in this situation by worrying about her deficiencies. Hope I'm not totally out of line here but I care! Hugs!!!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:28 am

Kelli - if it's any consolation, your mom sounds a lot like my sister, who always has some excuse to not see my dad. She has gotten better in the last few weeks, but he's been in an ALF for 17 mo. and she has been there very few times. She just made a reservation for me, my husband and her for Thanksgiving dinner and my dad can't travel anywhere. So she's thinking he'll have Thanksgiving dinner by himself at the ALF while we are out together. I said no, we need to be with dad. If you want to go out for THanksgiving dinner, make an evening reservation and we'll just have 2 dinners that day, but we are not going to leave him alone on Thanksgiving. Now why didn't SHE think of that? I guess I just have to keep chalking up all this stuff to "some people are clueless." I am sure it is worse in your situation to see your mom doing this to her husband, your dad. As Pat says, you just can't change her, and finding a way to let go of the frustration will help you keep healthier. I know what you are going through! Lynn

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks ladies I do get frustrated but I can let it go. So I go to see dad today (Saturday) after work and he asks me "Is mum coming up today?" and I say "No she has to mow the lawn this weekend." LOL See I can let it go. My husband on the other hand I may have to muzzle during the Xmas dinner. But I am sure he will know his place and not cross the "Dragon" as he fondly calls her. I had a good chat with the RN on Wednesday and the head of dads area about mums acceptance of dads condition and they just suggested I be there for when she needs me which I will but I will still get frustrated when things come up that I can't control it is only natural. We all want the best for our LO's when it comes down to the nitty gritty. I don't know though if mum realizes just how much dad looks forward to her visits. He still loves her and says so when I visit and it does upset me that it is not reciprocated equally. But I have to live with that fact I guess and concentrate on whatever positives I can get out of this situation.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:15 pm

Kelli, I've been there and done that in a similar way, which is why I said what I did. When I was nursing my dad during his last weeks dying of malignant melanoma, we three kids were all at Mom & Dad's place. Not only was I the only one willing to do the nursing but also did the laundry and cooking as well. My brother seemed critical of the medications I was giving Dad to control pain and my sister mostly moped in her room with a bottle of whiskey. When I complained to Mother she said that we each cope in our own way with these adversities. I was not particularly mollified by that observation but have since concluded that she was right. I was blessed with the ability and willingness to pitch in and do things. Doing things--keeping occupied-- helped me get through the terrible pain of my father's dying. Others do it differently and I've tried hard to learn not to judge. Or at least to let it go. Three cheers for you, Kelli! Hugs, Pat

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:06 pm

These things are so huge for all of us. And people do grieve differently. Kelli, I am praying that your mum can see her husband's need as more important than her own right now. I am praying that you can just love your dad and your mum fully, and he can see the good in front of him and enjoy it. I am praying that you feel God's love in your heart and know that you are doing all you can to make your dad feel loved and that makes God smile.
My heart goes out to you, Kelli. You are fighting the good fight. Bless you.
Love and Prayers,
PatS

Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:41 am

I think an old adage is appropriate here: you can choose your friends but not your relatives. :) Is mum possibly in denial? Some people react to negative events in odd mannerisms. Thank goodnes your dad has you! He is lucky to have such a kind, loving daughter and I am sure he appreciates you more than you may know.

Blessings,
Dianne

Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:40 am

Dianne I am positive mum is in denial to a degree, this is something the nurse reiterated with me earlier this week and advised to let her deal with it in her own time I do however feel she been more of a "carer" than a "wife who is caring for her husband who has a debilitating disease" for over 4 years. She has always been there for me through my ups and downs and never judged me. I am trying to do the same, but this is where I vent so forgive me anyone who sees me as judgmental. I have to say I am "Feelin the love" all the way over her in Aussie land and I thank you all for your support and prayers. xxxx

Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:10 am

Kelli, be assured that we don't see you as judgmental. I was only concerned that you were increasing your anxiety over something you have no control over. WE CARE!!!! Blessings and hugs!

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next