View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Best clothes for bedridden 

Post Best clothes for bedridden
Hi Everyone- My husband is now on in home hospice. He's not totally bedridden but in bed or a chair a lot.,He does get his britches changed in bed mostly because he's not strong enough to stand. What do your men loved ones wear. He was wearing shorts, but now for winter, what do you find is easier, just sweats?
Thanks

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Post Re: Best clothes for bedridden
We mostly go with sweatpants here.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Khakis only for my dad. He absolutely hates sweatpants even though he is freezing cold all the time and sweats would be a lot warmer.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:20 pm

My husband is always hot, so never heavy sweatpants. I like anything thinner on those lines, though. Stretchy cotton pants that pull up, a bit bigger than he would have worn in his 'prior life' for ease of dressing. If we're going to an apt. I avoid the kind that look like pajama bottoms, but at home, as often as he needs to be changed, everything goes. I started buying bigger t-shirts (always v-neck for comfort) because he has fractures on his spine and can't extend his right arm all the way, so that makes it so much easier for both of us. I also find that the socks that go up only about an inch on the ankle make it easier to put his socks on. And even in his oversized outfits he's as handsome as ever! Sher

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:12 pm

I knew my husband had to stick with elastic waist pants when, one day on our way into the doctor's office, his pants fell down around his ankles, his catheter tubing flapping in the breeze. He has virtually no butt and even a belt won't keep his pants up. If he were totally bed-bound it wouldn't matter, I guess.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Thank you for the answers. Next question. Where do I find elastic waist pants? My husband has a super short inseam, so that makes it a little harder too, although now it might not bother him as much.
Sher- I so appreciate the comment about being hadsome as ever. Mine is too and I hate to just see him sitting there in his depends and not pants, which is what hospice suggested. They said just throw a blanket over his legs, I know that wouldn't be my chuck, he's very modest.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:09 am

My father was also bed-bound for the last several months of his life and was capable of virtually no movement. After he got two very serious bedsores, we changed to an alternating air mattress and rolled him every 2 hours. Such mattresses prevent bedsores best when there's nothing between the skin and the mattress, so in fact Dad went "commando." Because he had hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), this worked out fine as we had to give him bed-baths every couple of hours and change his top several times a day. We just kept a thin sheet over him.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:37 am

Would he be content to wear pajama bottoms? There are many now in smart-looking styles and can be worn with a tee shirt.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:45 am

Not specifically for any gender is a trick my niece (a costumer) came up with.

She took some clothes we weren't too worried about and, for shirts, cut the back down the middle and, for pants, ripped open the side seams. She then took snaps that were already fastened to cloth tape and sewed the tape (with the snaps) into the openings she created. (Start with the worst clothes until you get good at it.)

She did this when her Grandma was in rehab with two broken shoulders. The staff loved it. It was kind of like toddler clothes. The shirts with snaps in the back allowed the staff to put them on Mom without causing her pain. And, if she had trouble sitting up, they'd just put the shirt on without fastening it, so Mom looked dressed. Having the snaps on both of the side seams made it much easier to change her diaper.

If you can't sew, pick up the tape with the snaps in and some fabric glue. It should hold.

Kate

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:00 am

Lori, look in the pajama dept. of the Mens' dept. You don't have to get plaid or anything too pajama-looking. I just picked up some more tonight at Kohl's in navy, grey, black and herring-bone (why not?). Some of them have the little fly-opening in the front but others don't, making them look to me like pants instead of pajamas. Good luck finding something that works for you! Sher

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:31 am

This was also a problem with my husband. I have found that shirts a size larger than normal work well...seeing that the neck is large enough for the head to fit through, comfortably. The pants, too, were a problem. Sweat pants, with their elastic waist, are the easiest for us...except for the elastic around the ankles. I cut off the elastic ankles....and they now go on very easily. I haven't bothered to sew the raw bottoms, but you certainly could. HABAND has many sizes and lengths of pants offerred, so you might find better fits with that store.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:28 pm

Following up on Kate's idea, we had a local support group member who was 100% bed-bound and wanted to wear regular clothes as she had lots of visitors. Her family cut open the backs of everything -- shirts, dresses, skirts (no pants) -- and affixed velcro along the length of the opening. It was very convenient to dress and undress this lady.

When she died, her family donated these clothes to our support group. They were snatched up right away.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]