View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Dealing with LBD 

Post Re: Dementia Coping Skills & Behavior Management
Gail, I agree with everything you said about posting being under other than the heading. I have not called attention to it for new comers for fear of having them think they "broke the rules". Maybe we can begin to say something like, See answer here: and then name the other room. Thanks.

Dorthea

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Yes, Gail, we regularly have 'board of directors meetings' too. It's always about something really important.... and I'd better have the paperwork ready. :roll:

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:32 pm

I like that idea, Dorothea.... (or should I have moved this post to another location?) :lol:

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:34 pm

I don't think the odd postings are mistakes but are the consequences of posting about one topic and mentioning another, which other readers post to--sort of a natural wandering of topics.

Gail

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Then what's the point of having a topic or thread? I think it's better to have the wanderings posted in entirely new threads.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:31 am

I agree, Robin. I meant only that it seems to occur that way, not that it is the preferred way.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:08 am

Wouldn't that be nice if all topics stayed within the subject ? But it often drifts off into other conversations.
Each person that comes to our forum is asked but it often doesn't happen and that's OK, people are here for answers, often a shoulder to lean on and a place to make friends, so to keep telling people over and over is really pointless for me, its more important that they are comfortable here !

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:32 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks, Irene. I know I am often one who changes course in midstream. I am thankful that it's tolerated. Nan

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:39 pm

Thank you, Irene. I came back (to this site) not long ago after a time away, as you know. I'm glad I did. My return was spurred by Dale's obvious downward trend - which has recently - in this past week - become a spiral. I was looking for specific answers at that time and this forum has been very helpful. I was also looking for friends and the response has been great. Care giving can be lonely. Thank you again.

I'm not coping very well with the tremendous changes in Dale's health. He has become almost totally delusional and physically dependent on me. He can't remember where rooms are in our home. He stands with tremendous difficulty and then has to wait until he stops begin dizzy before he can move. His personality has changed. He has become demanding. That is perhaps the saddest change of all.

A friend brought a new walker to us today - with a chair in case Dale suddenly needs to sit down. I know I need help with him so I'm making plans to hire someone after Christmas. I really can't believe all this is happening so fast.

It is a very strange Christmas present. :cry:

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:48 pm

I am so sorry. It is the hardest thing you (we) do every day. Watching your friend/lover/husband/companion/supporter become less than a shadow of their former self is horrible. I often feel just on the edge of a panic attack and have to have stern talks with myself. Don't need both of us over the edge.

Take care and know you have all of us in your corner. I am glad to hear that you will have some help coming soon. I suppose I will need to look at that soon, as well.

Strange Christmas present, to be sure. Nan

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:07 pm

The walker with the built-in seat reminded me that 2 years ago at Christmas, my husband and I insisted that my dad have a walker with wheels and a seat. We had to drive an hour to a town where they sold them, my dad was furious but put up with us buying it for him and teaching him how to walk with it when we got back to his house.
The day we left his house to come home, he called his friend who keeps the medical equipment for the American Legion and told him to come take it. My dad didn't want it, wasn't going to use it "because it was too fast." I was pretty ticked off at the time, but now it kind of makes me laugh. Sometimes you just can't win! And, this was before we knew he had dementia and thought he was being a stubborn old goat.
I hope all of you have peaceful nights tonight. Lynn

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Derek didn't use his for a long time, either, because it was 'too fast'. When they are bent over, they are pushing the walker and building momentum. I walk with him when he's using it and slow it down when necessary. He was able to use it this afternoon although this morning he couldn't even stand.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Lewy is so strange. About 5:15 pm ... some two hours ago, Dale quite suddenly became reasonably sane again. ..So I took him to both a drug store (for his meds) and a grocery store for the first time in a week. Again, it felt like he came back from the grave.

We were both exhausted when we came home .... but it was great! I wish I could count on these periods of sanity to happen when I want them! I have decided that I'm going to keep trying to take him out of the house for brief periods like this and just see what happens.

When we ate dinner, he said something like, 'What are we going to do about these people?' Why don't they pay us?' ..... and I was proud of myself because I said they were part of his world and not mine. It ended a potential problem.... (My sister said, "Don't step in it. It's like quick sand and it will pull you both down!)

By the way, he hasn't fainted again .... I've been giving him strong coffee in the morning and salty chips during the day. Those are supposed to work on the blood pressure problem and I really think they do.

Rejoice with me! :P

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:42 pm

Leone,
Glad for a bit of a bright spot for you today, Lewy is certainly unpredictable as you see!

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:47 pm
Profile WWW

Leone - I'd definitely take advantage of those good times and get him out when you can. There will probably be a day when it is impossible to get him in a car, sitting up, and then get him out of the car. And, his tolerance for a different environment will probably decrease also, so make the most of it while you can. The last "road trip" I took with my dad was to the Dairy Queen, 5 min. from his ALF. Just as I parked the car to go in and get his milkshake he wanted to go back to the ALF. I hadn't even gotten out of the car yet! A few min. before we had gone to the Dairy Queen he was begging me to take him home, to both the town he grew up in (an 1 1/4 hr. away) and the town he lived in most of his life (an hour away). I was so glad I hadn't attempted one of the one-hour trips since 5 min. was too much for him! Hope you can do an outing tomorrow too. Lynn

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next