View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Dealing with LBD 

Post Re: Dementia Coping Skills & Behavior Management
Leone, so happy that you got to see a bit of the old Dale today. Glad you were able to take him out of the house. Lewy is a very strane disease. I wish Fran would snap back even for a day. Oh well maybe tomorrow, although I doubt it. Darn I wanted to put the eye rolling smilie on the end of my post. Boo Hoo it didn't work. Hugs, Leone Bernie

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:13 pm

I've told Leone that I think Dale is about a year behind Derek in his symptoms and behavior but, of course, the rate of progression is not the same for everyone. It's been well over a year now since any lucidity, companionship or 'normal' conversation. I think this makes it harder for spouses of Lewy than for other family members of Lewy in that our 'other half' is being eroded away, bit by bit.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:24 pm

It is now almost 9:30 pm on the east coast ... and Dale is still bright as a penny and good company. He has not asked to be taken to bed. (He usually starts wanting bed at 8:30 pm)

I'm reluctant to take him to bed.... so I'm putting it off as long as we can. These are precious moments ... and I know it. I don't know what made the change in him. There were no changes in medicine ... or anything. He even went to the bathroom by himself.

This is a strange disease. :shock: Please cross your fingers for me.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Enjoy, Leone! Enjoy! :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:42 pm

I am having a tough time coping with Fran and the Santa who stares at him. Tonight he put him on the sofa, as he felt it was too cold for him to sit on the window sill. Dementia is the hardest part of LBD for me to deal with. His behavior is getting worse by the day. Thank God he is a sweet Lewy (so far) Bernie

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:29 am

Post Re: Dementia Coping Skills & Behavior Management - Bernie
BernieD wrote:
Dementia is the hardest part of LBD for me to deal with.
You hit the nail on the head, Bernie. I keep getting sucked in too. This afternoon, - even though Dale was doing well and we had been enjoying shopping, etc., there was still a moment when I almost lost it.

Dale was eating a cut up apple and he said, "This is the best food I've had in seven days."

I try so hard to prepare dishes he likes and to have him say an apple was the 'best' really felt like a direct hit and I came close to responding. In fact, he went on to say that it would be nice if 'they' would prepare dishes that he likes.

Of course, he has no idea that such remarks can hurt.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:41 am

Just remember, Leone, that he has no idea that his remarks hurt. He is not capable of understanding the concept of hurting someone. When he is lucid, he probably can, but when his cognition dips, all bets are off. When my dad would say inappropriate things I would try to count to 3 and remember an old cartoon a former coworker had hanging in his office "arguments with furniture are seldom productive." Trying to reason with a person with dementia, or hold them to certain standards of socially acceptable behavior, are like arguing with furniture. It is futile and only serves to frustrate us more when we behave towards them as though they are physically and mentally healthy. They aren't, so we just have to change our expectations and reactions. Hard? You bet! But, you'll find more and more that your own frustration level will level out if you decrease your expectations of your LO who is ill. All the best, Lynn

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks, Lynn. I needed to hear that, too. I have been tring to get him to be 'reasonable' but there is no reasoning with Lewy. Nan

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:53 pm

LTCVT wrote:
"arguments with furniture are seldom productive."

I like that quote.... It's funny. I well know the problems, Lynn.

I've probably told this before on this site, but my sister reminded me yesterday that our 104 year old mother had a bruised eye once when my sister went to visit her in the nursing home. My sister asked what happened and mother snapped, "You ought to know; you hit me!"
Mother wasn't kidding ..... That's dementia talking. Mother lived four years with it.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Learning to disengage from irrational, illogical behavior can be very challenging for some people. Many times I had to explain to my sister that our dad was not "playing with a full deck" much of the time, and she needed to learn how to deflect hurtful things he said. The dad we knew would not have done or said many of the things that he did the past 2 years or so. That dad was gone, and in his place was a different personality and body that no longer worked. Only once in a while did we see a glimpse of who he had been. It was rarer and rarer, but just a few days before he died there was a glimpse of his former personality, which really seems like a gift now. Lynn

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:34 pm

It always amazes me that so many do this just days before they pass, and you are right it is a gift and their last one to us !

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:08 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Dealing with LBD
Irene, did your husband do this, too [show a glimpse of his old self before he died]?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Pat,
Yes he did, he didn't walk on his own close to 18 months and 5 days before he passed and was in hospice house he walked out of his room, actually the NA had to think about it as she knew he didn't walk and of course he never walked again , my Dad always called these events the "calm before the storm".

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:41 pm
Profile WWW

Interesting. Same thing happened to a neighbor's husband who had PD. He was in a SNF [the same one Derek is in] and hadn't walked in months. One day he asked for the PT to come and help him walk--he wanted to walk. And he did walk with the walker all the way up the hallway. His heart stopped later that day and he died instantly which was a blessing.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3