View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Dealing with LBD 

Post Dealing with LBD
I ran across this website today - Mental Help Net (mentalhelp.net). Much of the content is written by two psychologists. There is a section called "Dementia Coping Skills & Behavior Management."

Last edited by robin on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Post Re: Dementia Coping Skills & Behavior Management
I don't see 'delusions' on the list. Wonder why?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:35 pm

I think delusions are addressed via "suspicion."

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:11 pm

I was looking for Delusions too. It seems to me that it is a separate thing from Suspicions. Mom was "convinced" 3 days this week that she'd fainted and had a heart attack. She told me, my husband, hospice nurse, social worker & our caregiver about it. Also, after my daughter visited Friday night with her newborn son, my mom said there were 6 women in her room till midnight and that they had "chosen" her to take care of an abandoned baby. So all day yesterday and today she said she didn't have the energy to take care of babies anymore!

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:24 pm
Profile YIM

And we have about 'twenty' people living in our house.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Pat .... I remember that you wrote a couple of months ago that there were 'twenty' people in your house. Are there less visitors now?

I think Dale has less hallucinations now. However, he is usually confused and certainly creative. Tonight, he told me that 'they' were widening the street outside our house. We live in a gated community and the chances of that are nil. However, about a half hour later, he said, "I guess that I dreamed that, didn't I?"

He still has periods of total sanity and they catch me completely off guard. The danger for me is that I'm sometimes tempted to use that brief sanity as an opportunity to talk about something important - and then I realize that I'm in trouble as his confusion makes that obviously a bad idea.

Do you know what I mean?

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:45 pm

I know just what you mean Leone. My dad would fluctuate between being logical and being totally illogical in the same discussion. It made me feel like I was going crazy and I couldn't tell how to react when he'd go from one to the other so fast sometimes. That's when I stopped bringing up any topics like taking care of the house, financial matters, etc. Once I stopped bringing up those subjects, and just doing what I thought was the best, it decreased my anxiety level. When he'd ask me a question about some serious topic I'd give him as little info. as needed to respond and satisfy him, so we didn't get into these schizophrenic conversations where I'd want to just tear my hair out! Lynn

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:55 pm

I do know what you mean, Leone. Even though Derek does not have any moments of sanity these days, I find myself occasionally saying something to him as I would to a 'sane' person and, of course, he totally misconstrues it and it leads to more confusion. :-(

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Lynn.... I love that concept... "schizophrenic conversations." That's exactly what I now have with Dale. Just a few minutes ago, he absolutely had to tell me about a Portland Clinic that he needed to call. My son is involved and so is my sister. They need to be included in the 'meeting.' (Lately, it's always about the Portland Clinic.) It's always some serious financial matter that needs immediate attention.

I don't know anything about a clinic in Portland. That's where Dale grew up. My sister and my son have nothing financial going on between them. They don't live in the same town.

You get the idea. I never know where to begin in attempting to disregard his deep concern and still let him know that I'm concerned about him. I try to 'redirect' - but that only irritates him. He then thinks I don't care about what he's thinking.

Only someone who is on this road understands.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Leone, you are right. Redirection may work in AD but in LBD it seems to get them riled up. Yesterday evening was just awful with Derek. He wanted answers!!! Unfortunately, I couldn't understand the questions!!! And when I'd take a stab at a guess, he'd get really agitated. These questions have to do with beds, houses, etc. A straight answer like, "This is our house. This is where we live. That is your bed. That is where you sleep," does not satisfy him, just as explaining that I am his wife doesn't, because he never believes me. I can't win. Ever. The light at the end of the proverbial tunnel comes around 8:30 or 9:00 when he seems to calm down just before bedtime.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Pat... To reinforce what you wrote...
Dale does not have memory loss as in Alzheimer's. A case in point: When he hides something, he can always think about it just a bit and come up with the place he hid it.

In fact, I think it's old stored memories all mixed up that come from his brain in new combinations. Places that were important to him as a child are the locations of these 'current' events. 'The Meetings we need to attend' are reflective of the many he had to attend during his business years. Even the financial problems he had to solve in years gone by are, in his mind, problems to be solved now.

It makes me so sad that he can't enjoy his retirement. We closed down the businesses in 2008. It ought to be a happy time for him. Instead, he worries constantly.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Derek's memory is very sporadic, both short and long term. The strange thing is that, even though portions of his 'hard drive' get erased, they can be recovered later. I've often wondered why that is true. If nerve cells are being destroyed you'd expect a loss of memory to be final.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:29 pm

The big question for me is, what is being destroyed? As I've often said, Dale's memory is often better than mine for names, dates, etc. I visualize his memory taking leaps over blockages and thus putting images and thoughts together than don't belong. Maybe that isn't accurate or far too simplified.

Are the nerve cells that are being destroyed thought to be 'memory'? We can guess that loss of ability to swallow, walk normally, etc. are related to nerve cell loss but thinking may be a different matter. Even his very involved imaginary scenarios involve creative thinking.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Robin, you are such a rich source of help for us all!! Thank you!
PatS

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:33 pm

I faithfully read all of the posts several times a day. Leone, our experience seems to mirror yours in lots of ways. Yesterday, we had to have meeting of the Board of Directors and even had to sit around the table. Unfortunately, the rest of the directors, those other versions of me, didn't show up. (Board of Directors of what?)

There are so many posts now and specific items are scattered among all topics, that when I do a search for a particular topic, there are now so many posts, and the topics are pretty scattered.

Gail

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next