View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Underwear/condom cath question 

Post Re: Underwear/condom cath question
Dale has worn a Gee Whiz condom catheter at night (only) since August of 2009. He has also been taking Seroquel 100 mg before bed. The combination works well for us.

He sleeps soundly and the catheter has always stayed in place. We use a washcloth between the catheter and his legs to absorb any leakage. The tube hangs under one leg to a full sized bag in a container on the floor. He also sleeps on a plastic lined bed pad.

The Gee Whiz catheter has a separate adhesive which we found works better than the adhesive on most of the other condom catheters. However, I put a thin layer of gauze on the penis before applying the adhesive. Dale is allergic to adhesives.

(Feb 2 - As of about a month ago, Dale became incontinent during the day and rather than keep the condom catheter on him during the day, he is wearing paper diapers. So far, they are not causing any skin problem. However, I am extremely careful to wash him completely with every change and dry that area using a hair dryer.)

Another thing that probably keeps his body in place is that he likes to have a pillow under his legs during the night. It cushions his feet which are quite sensitive. It also prevents his moving around during the night.

Since Dale was once a sleep-walker and also began Lewy with awful night time delusions and hallucinations, the Seroquel has been a miracle for us.

Last edited by Leone on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Post Re: Underwear/condom cath question
Leone, Thank you, it sounds like your bedtime routine takes longer than ours. Right now Frank is sitting on the couch sleeping. I tried to get him to go to bed 1/2 hr ago and he said it was too early. He will probably resist all attemps to get him up and to bed, so he'll sleep sitting on the couch. I have the cushions protected so we're good.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2