View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Underwear/condom cath question 

Post Underwear/condom cath question
Hi All- I'm looking for advice on the incontinent underwear for men. He's been wearing them okay, but at night now he doesn't get up so I've been changing him in bed (not easy for me at this point). When he lays on his side, the urine leaks out onto the waterproof pad. Have you found any that work better for men?

I tired a condom catherer but when he turned it fell off. Any suggestions for that too? Thank you all

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:30 pm

Post Re: Underwear/condom cath question
You can try a retracted penis pouch. We got ours from Hollister. (We found the quality of this company's products to be superior to most others.) It didn't work for us either but it might be worth a try.

I think the side-tape incontinence briefs control this leakage better than the pull-ups. And we preferred Tena brand. (Again, quality was superior.) There's a thread somewhere just on Tena brand briefs.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:00 am

We are having success with a condom catheter used at night. We put it on and then put on a leg strap that holds the condom in place. The drainage tube goes to a large bag that I place in a bucket next to the bed. As he lies on his back the leg strap is on the leg that is closest to the edge of the bed where the drainage bag is. Make sure there is enough tube for your LO to be able to turn to each side without pulling the tube really tight or off. The drainage tube lies under the leg closest to the drainage bag. We use Hollister brand. The leg strap closes on the leg with velcro and has a separate velcro holder for the drainage tube.

Also, don't use the sports length. They are too short.

The cath works great. If he will keep it on. Some nights he is really confused and will tear it off, but we are having more nghts where he keeps it on. I thnk by the end of the 2nd month he will be keeping it on all night every night. We've only been doing this at night for about 3 weeks, although we have used condom catheters off and on for several years. Mostly we used them for travel and for when we would be at a place where access to restrooms would be difficult.

Nan

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:41 am

I believe the leg straps are the same as we use for my LOs catheter. They are Dale brand catheter leg bands.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:49 am

That's the brand that we use, too. Nan

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:08 am

I don't know how many of you use the Tena underwear but I have found to order them on line is very pricey. A pkg of 14 M/L pull ons are $25.00 on line, plus shipping and at our local Rite Aid they are 14, 16 a special, for just $15.00. I'm trying a men's pad you put in their own underware, similar to a sanitary pan, during the day, he's started to dribble a lot, those were $12.00 for 52, store brand, so far they have been very helpful. Pampers weren't very popular when our children were babies but thank goodness for todays adult disposables. :P

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:31 am

My husband's indwelling catheter will leak fairly often, too and so he must wear 'Depends'. We used the TENA but, while they fit him better, the crotch is too narrow. Now we use the Depends for Men and I place a Depends 'male guard' alongside the crotch of the Depends, extended just slightly over the edge to widen the crotch on the side of the catheter tubing, because that's the side it will leak from. It does help.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:56 am

My dad's indwelling catheter started leaking after about 6 months of his using a Foley. (So we also had to use Tena briefs and pads.) We could never figure this out. Our guess was that it was due to bladder spasms. Or perhaps it was due to irritation caused by his walking around. When he was bed-bound the leaking stopped.

It was disappointing that we had to use both a Foley and briefs but briefs alone weren't good at soaking up all the urine.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:40 pm

Yes, I think spasms may be the problem. My husband has had this leaking off and on for two years now and is just as likely to have it at night as during the day. Of course, I place a quilted pad with a waterproof backing over the sheet.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:52 pm

I have a lot of trouble getting Frank into bed, he sits on the edge of the bed and then I get a foot stool for his feet and repeat over and over, move your rear toward the middle of the bed. It takes lots of patience, and at night , mine are very thin. I put the pads under the sheet, if I had them on top they'd be all bunched up by the time he was far enough on the bed. I hate bed time, but oh what a relief when he's finally in bed. Sometimes he'll get up to find his shoes so they'll be ready for morning, then we have to go all thru it again.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Gerry, I don't know if you can incorporate this trick into moving your husband into bed, but there is a move that I learned from the caregivers where when my Mom is sitting on the edge of the bed I put my right arm behind my mom's back and I put my left arm under her knees and I bring her legs up onto the bed as I pivot her whole body around on her bottom so that she is lying lengthwise on the bed. It takes little strength and if I do it fast she doesn't know what is happening. If she catches on and tenses up and fights it, it is much harder.

Your husband may sit too close to the edge of the bed and this might not be a possible move for you. However, at least you know it's there.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:03 pm

I do a similar move. I get him on the edge of the bed, as far toward the inside as possible then I pick up his legs in both arms and swing them into the middle of the bed. Then I take his hands and pull his head and torso into line. I position his underpad diagonally before he sits down so that the 'swing' brings it more or less into the right position. Yes, it is physically demanding but I'm a lot stronger than I used to be. If I wear short sleeves my biceps make the sleeves rather tight. :P

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:38 pm

Thanks Annie & Pat, I do a similar turn, Frank can usually put his legs up while I bring his head and chest around. Unless I can get him to move toward the center of the bed he's too close to the edge. Last night I had him stand on the foot stool and then sit, it got him closer to the center and made the job a bit easier. Last night he got up several times between 1:00 and 4:00, so we went thru this routine several times,then we just stayed up. We meet his friends for breakfast at 6:45 this morning, after a night like this he sits, snoozes and drools the entire time, but wants to go.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:39 am

Frank uses the pad for men and depends at night. What made you decide to use the condon catheter, is it just preference. Do you ony use it at night? Just wondering.
Thanks, Gerry

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:54 pm

At a caregivers support group meeting yesterday, someone raised an excellent point. Her husband uses a condom catheter with a leg bag during the day but the husband can't use this at night because the RBD means he thrashes around in bed and, most likely, the condom catheter would come off or the leg bag would go flying around.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next