View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Night time solution ?? 

Post Re: Night time solution ??
Me too, Gail. Both his neurologist (Brad Boeve) and his excellent geriatrician said it was OK for Coy to have alcohol. Boeve suggested a limit of 2 drinks a day, and cutting back if it appeared to increase his impairment.

I believe that persons having difficulty sleeping are generally advised not to use alcohol before bedtime. But this in not a "generally" situation, is it? Leone, if you are having concerns about providing beer, perhaps you could talk it over the hospice folks.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:21 pm

A couple of months ago, Dale drank a beer in the evening before bed and it turned out badly. However, this time it (the same kind of beer) relaxed him to sleep.

This time, there were four hours between the pills at 9 pm and the beer at 1 am so there was no connection. I know I won't hesitate to do it again.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:14 pm

I never thought of trying alcohol to put him to sleep--wish I had.

In my case I wanted to allow him one of the few, maybe the only, pleasure left since he could no longer focus on TV. Oddly, now in the ALF, he can have wine but is indifferent to it. It's box white zin, but still tastes good.

When the weather is milder I may try taking him out for lunch, but don't think it will be successful.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2