View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Incontinence Covers for Chair Recliner 

Post Incontinence Covers for Chair Recliner
My dad is in a NH and has an upholstered recliner in his room. Even though we use large cloth pads to cover it, we are starting to have problems with some leakage. The NH will clean the chair- but we are looking for a waterproof chair cover that covers the main body (top to bottom) of the chair. I can sew- so also looking for a pattern and fabric source.

My sister found one source on line, but they seem out of business.I am including the link so you can see what type of thing we are talking about. http://hiattschairsaver.com/incontinence_pads.htm

Anyone have any sources?

Sat May 22, 2010 8:02 am

I've never seen anything like that, but I have made slipcovers for chairs before. One of the best tips I learned from a prof. slipcover maker, was to use clear plastic to make a pattern - that way you can see through the plastic, see where the seams are and make any markings on the plastic pattern with a Sharpie marker. Get your waterproof fabric cut out (Sunbrella makes several types of waterproof, or you can line reg. fabric with something like a vinyl table cloth), then when you sew each seam use your largest stitch, try it on the chair and if it fits, sew with smaller stitches. That way, if you have to rip out the stitching it's easier to rip out the longer stitches till you get it right.
Is your LO using "depends"? If so you really shouldn't be getting leakage - maybe you need to try a different size or brand?
Good luck - maybe the online place will be up and running soon so you don't have to make one! Lynn

Sat May 22, 2010 11:39 am

I use a plastic shower curtain liner for my husband's lift chair. It doesn't fit exactly -- I just tuck it in, but it works.

Doris

Sun May 23, 2010 12:48 am

You can get chair covers, usually covering just the seat, at any medical supply store. They are an incontinence product, like the bed covers. Come to think of it, a small bed cover might work. The seat cover comes in colors. As far as I know, the bed pad or cover only comes in white. Regardless, though, as these are made for incontinence, they are pretty waterproof. We've been happy with them.

Do a web search on incontinence pads or covers and you will probably find a lot of suppliers.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]