View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Preventing Spills 

Post Preventing Spills
My dad was dropping the heavy, cumbersome glasses in his lap and getting soaked each meal at the ALF dining room. I found several kinds of great cups/mug/glasses that are ergonomically shaped, with tops that seal and flexible straws in the baby/little kids' depts. in Target and Walmart. I got several for my dad to use and they really helped. If your LO is having a hard time holding a glass or cup, this might work. He seems to need a straw too, so these with the built-in flexible straws are great! His tablemates fix his ice tea for him, and as long as he can hold the bottle, he is all set!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:02 pm

I agree, mum also uses a sipper cup, the only problem is that to swallow the slow release pills she needs to gulp her drink, so the pills slide down her throat and not sit in her mouth, the sipper cup doesn't give her enough liquid for the pills to go down, yet drinking from a glass is difficult because she bites it and shakes! Help what a predicament.......

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:40 am

Post Taking pills
Hi Jedka. Have you tried a semisolid like pudding or applesauce? My LO will take a whole pill at a time in half a spoon of applesauce. Especially the flavored kind like peach mango. Once in a while she will forget and chew the pill and then we follow up with a sip of water. There is also the technique of crushing the pill and putting it in applesauce but I personally have not had to try that. Good luck.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:19 am

The kids' bottles that have the big, flexible straws work really well. A couple of the ones I bought that didn't have the straws had to have bigger holes drilled, which is easily solved if you have an electric drill. The holes made in those are for babies and really little kids, so with a bigger hole it should be fine. Lynn

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]