View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Bowel preps and paramedics 

Post Bowel preps and paramedics
It's been quite a day. Bowel prep [very messy!!!!] for his colonoscopy tomorrow, then tonight he was trying to get into bed by himself [I always help him into bed] and slid onto the floor. He wasn't hurt, the floor is carpeted, but for over an hour I tried to get him up without success. He kept telling me the floor was crushing him. Finally I had to call the paramedics. They were very nice. He told them the floor caused it, as it was full of 'cement and gravel'. I hope this doesn't happen again. My back is sore. How do you handle it?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:54 am

Hope tomorrow goes better than tonight did.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:13 am

Hi Pat - Last winter and spring when my dad kept falling every few weeks, he'd call a neighbor and have them come pick him up. At that point he could carry his own weight and help them help him get up. With the fall in July when he couldn't help them help him and called them at 5 AM, I asked them to call the paramedics. I knew something was really amiss for him to call neighbors at that time. (this was before we knew he had LBD) I had been trying to get him temporarily into a NH while we waited for a room to open at the ALF where he is now. I knew it was only a matter of time before he had a traumatic event.
That morning in July when he could not even support his own weight was the big downturn mentally and physically. There was no question he could not be at home. Even with having part time caregivers coming in, one person could not lift him even if he fell while they were there. Now it takes 2 - 3 people for EVERY transfer.
I think there comes a time when home care is not an option unless you have several strong people there all the time and they can handle these types of situations. It is a tough choice, but for us there was only one option. He could not afford 24/7 care in his own home, we could not have him calling neighbors all hours of the day and night, and there were a lot of other things going on at that point. He went from 3 days in the hospital to a rehab center to the ALF.
I wish you the best in figuring out what is the best option for you two at this point. Lynn

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:35 am

My husband falls a lot and is completely unable to get himself up.He cannot use his legs at all. Luckily, so far, he has not suffered any serious injury, even when his falls were due to fainting after a sudden drop of blood pressure. But as his caregiver, I have developed several strategies for getting him up if I am alone: I call a neighbor, or the delivery person passing in a truck; best of all is a local service called "Easy Does It." For a small fee ($13), a strong person will come to assist anyone who needs help getting from the floor into a wheelchair or in bed. Our community has many handicapped persons, and this service is designed for them, but we qualify! This service will also come immediately to our house should there be an emergency requiring evacuation (an earthquake or fire), to aid in moving my husband.

The bottom line is to do everything to prevent falls, which means transferring safely from bed to wheelchair to wherever; keeping a safety belt around him when in the wheelchair if I am in another part of the house. My helpers share this way of thinking, and are strong enough to raise him if needed. It is a major requirement for anyone I hire to help.

A person can be cared for in the home if safety precautions are in place, and vigilance is practiced, and if there is a caregiver in charge! It is not possible for anyone with dementia living alone. Doris

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:57 am

Is a safety belt considered to be a restraint? My dad has fallen out of his wheelchair several times at the ALF and I have asked them about making him more secure, but they say that MD law precludes them from using any type of restraint to keep him in the chair. Meanwhile he has had to go to the hospital when this happens if he hits his head. It gets him very upset if they insist on taking him and he doesn't want to go.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Yes, a safety belt is a restraint. This is one reason that some people move to a SNF -- because of the need for restraints.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:58 pm

So a SNF can use them but in ALFs they can't?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:05 pm

In the state of WA, physical restraints are no longer allowed. It's ridiculous, really. That's why monitors clipped to their clothing are so widely used. If they try to get up, the alarm goes off.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Yeah, in MD, at least in ALFs they can't use restraints. That's great that my dad has a clip alarm that rings when he falls, but that doesn't keep him from falling out of the chair. So he gets to go to the ER (very upsetting and distressful for him, to say nothing about the expense) when he falls and hits his head. Twice this year so far.... And the year is young.....

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:45 pm

One of my neighbors suggested calling the Fire Dept. if my husband were to fall. Just ask them to send a big strong guy to help lift him, not to send a truck with sirens blaring. Once in awhile they would take some "goodies" to the Fire Dept. to keep good will going. Good idea if you need much help in that area. We're in the bed for good now, so no need for us, but might help others.
Judy

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:09 pm

In our state, the 911 responders--fire, police or EMTs--are all dispatched centrally. When I phoned, I told her it was not an emergency per se and that sirens and lights were not needed. An EMT vehicle came quietly with two very nice and helpful young men. They told me to call any time, they don't mind this kind of service. We are billed for emergency services and I have no idea what it will cost. Since he wasn't transported, it shouldn't be much. Even if I had to call them once a week, it would be a lot cheaper than having him in a SNF at $225/day.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:03 pm

I have called for help twice at home, and once on vacation in Florida. At home I called the business number and explained it was not an emergency. They always send the rescue truck, a fire truck and a cruiser, no lights or noise. I've been very I've been very pleased and there isn't any charge unless he is transported to the ER.

That's what our taxes are for.

Take Care, Gerry

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]