View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Need help and advice about transfers 

Post Need help and advice about transfers
I have had Mom at home now for almost a week. I just went back to work today (I work from my home part of the time). I have two CNA aides helping me one has been here four times and the other has been here twice. The lady that has been here 4 times is having difficulty transferring Mom to the camode and has to call me to help her. Mom does not cooperate if I am not there. The other lady only had a problem once and that was only on her first day. I am worried because I will not be here on Saturday to help at all as I will be at my other job out of the house. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Unless your mother is heavy, the CNA should be able to do a solo transfer, provided your mother can support some weight. They should be using a transfer belt. If not, suggest they get one. If they don't know how to properly use it, have your mother's doctor order a physical therapist to come out and teach them. Medicare should cover it. Even if they don't, it will be worth it. --Pat

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Post PT
Thanks Pat, actually we have a PT coming tomorrow for a consult but the aide that will be here is the one who isn't having a problem. Ma weighs about 120 now, down from 180. She can stand and support a little weight but doesn't have much strength at all in her arms. I think Mom is resisting her a bit, I am guessing she doesn't like the way she talks to her.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:10 pm

If your mother is transferring from a wheelchair to the commode, she does not need to stand up. You can use a slide board so that she can move sitting from the chair to the commode, and back. (The commode needs to have a removeable arm. If you are in a hospice program, they can provide one, and a slide board.) If she is coming from the bed, then you have to get her into the wheelchair first, so it takes a little time, but it is much safer to move her that way.

Consider yourself lucky that she still is using the commode!

And welcome to this forum where all of us are struggling to understand and care for someone we know we are losing and where every day is both difficult and precious.

Doris

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:04 am

Post thanks
Doris,

Thank you, I will check into that with Hospice, we are using a bedside commode. I just brought Mom home last Friday a week ago. She was in a facility for the last 2 years, before that my sister and I took care of her at home. She is incontinent at times but at the facility they never took her to the BR at all just let her sit in a wet diaper until they got around to changing her. Sometimes she will tell you if she has to go, but it seems to work if we give her a chance to go a few times a day on a schedule. The aide I have today is awesome and I asked the service if I can have her more often. In fact the aide that was having trouble...kinda quit today leaving me without anyone for tomorrow and I had to cancel and reschedule with all of my patients. With the slide board it sounds like that would work but what about...well wiping her if she has a BM, seems like that might still require 2 people?

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Two people would be best: one to hold her up while the other one cleaned her. But she may be able to wipe herself if you hand her the wipes, or lift her bottom just enough for the person helping to wipe her sitting. When she pees, does she wipe herself? If so, she could probably manage doing her bottom. I'm glad you have someone you like to help her, and the hospice people probably have a technique for toileting her that involves only one person.

It is wonderful that you are going to care for her in your home. It will be difficult, but very rewarding, I assure you.

Doris

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Here's an idea: Put the bucket under the commode seat but not attached. After a BM, wipe her from below. I've done this. If you need to, you can prop the bucket up on something so it's higher.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Post Thanks
Thanks this is an awesome idea!!! I am going to try it :-)

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]