View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 bathing 

Post bathing
Tony has gotten very rigid and I am having a hard time bathing him. I had been using a shower chair, with a toilet seat. This helps him go to the bathroom and allows me to clean up the area. Lately, he has been so stiff it is hard to get him to sit in the chair. I am worried about letting him stand up and hold onto the grab bar. He also has a full head of hair and I would not know how to wash his hair...times like this bald men are easier to deal with I suppose??? Anyone have any suggestion or ideas of how they deal with this?

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:16 am

Bed baths can be very effective and soothing. You may be able to find a video at this website:
http://www.bathingwithoutabattle.unc.edu/

Presumably the care facility's aides or the hospice aides have done this many times and can guide you.

Some facilities have something like gurneys that you put a person on (with a patient lift) and the gurney can be rolled into the shower room.

There are inflatable basins you can use in the bed to wash someone's hair but it's probably easier to use one of those microwaveable shampoo caps.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks for your reply. The aides seem clueless. This is assisted living and not SNF. I am trying to improvise and figure it out. What is a microwave cap for washing hair? Hospice has someone that will come but they only come two days a week and from the residents I have seen, they do not do a very good job. May try to get Hospice to move him to the Hospice house where I know they can take care of this. Just not sure they will accept him at this point...they say they are "crisis"care.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:32 am

Post post subject
When I was working at the hospital, we would wash people's hair in bed as many of our patients could not get out of bed unless lifted.

We had a tray that fit under the neck and over the side of the bed. The water and shampoo would drain off the side of the bed into a pail or something. (The tray was shaped to drain) Of course we had to protect the bed somewhat in case of a water spill, so we would put a large garbage bag between the tray and the bed.
I'm sure if we had these in the hospital, then they could be bought somewhere. I will search the internet and get back to you.
Mary

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:48 am

If you do an internet search "shampoo cap microwaveable" you'll find several products. You can purchase them online or at medical supply stores.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:57 am

Post post subject
I found all kinds of shampoo trays at nextag.com/shampoo tray. The inflateable ones look a lot better than the hard plastic that we used.

Last year when my LO was in the hospital they used the microwaveable to clean his head after an EEG but it didn't work well. I don't think the tech knew too much about it either but at least she tried. It didn't seem to do a good job at all and my LO doesn't have a lot of hair on the top of his head
Mary

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks...the inflatable ones looks best to me as well. Tony is italian and has a full head of salt and pepper hair. Gets very oily if not washed regularly. Seems that at this point his parkinsonism is getting the best of me. I am trying to deal with all this one day at a time....today it is the shampoo and shower issue.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:10 am

My husband is still able to stand--praise God!--and he stands up in the shower, holding the grab bar. We also have a grab bar just outside the shower. I had thought about a shower chair, but he seems most at risk for falls when sitting down or getting up, so I didn't get one. I'm not sure what we'll do when he can no longer stand.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:19 pm

Post bed baths and waterless shampoo
We do bed baths and have for awhile because the shower and tub are upstairs. A little nice music and lots of towels to stay warm :) Also Tresme puts out a nice waterless shampoo that you can get at a regular drug store..it smells very nice and does a great job too.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks for the tip...will check out the drug store...will do this between doing the inflatable hair wash trick. BTW, my daughter lives in Wake Forest, outside Raleigh, nice area.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:14 am

Post shampooing hair
Sadly to say my husband cannot raise his arms and is verry unsteady in the shower. I ended up using a shower chair and having all of that gorgeous thick hair shaved off.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]