View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 High Blood Pressure and Water Retention:How to Treat 

Post High Blood Pressure and Water Retention:How to Treat
My husband is recovering from a three-month siege of UTIs, but is now clearly suffering from water retention. I have been trying to get him to drink more liquids as the doctor has told me that is the best way to clear the bacteria causing the infections. But now his body is swelling from excess fluids -- his feet and legs, arms and fingers are all puffy and red. His blood pressure is way, way up -- and he has never suffered from that problem (quite the opposite -- low pressure causing him to faint). I don't know whether I should now cut back on liquids, or what. I know it's not from salt, because I am preparing all his food from natural ingredients (no cans) and hardly use any salt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I should mention that he no longer can walk so he doesn't get that kind of exercise, just stretching and moving from sitting in a chair. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, just discomfort (e.g. he can't hold a spoon in his swollen fingers). Doris

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 am

Do you have a home health agency on board? If not, I'd suggest calling your husband's neurologist or primary care physician's office ASAP. Call which ever one you have the best relationship with. Ask them for advice. Your husband needs to be seen by a medical professional. When you call, ask if this would be a good time for hospice.
Robin

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:20 am

It was the nurse from the HHA who took Philip's blood pressure (it was 180/92 at first) and pulse (also high) on the intake visit last week. The nurse has informed our primary care doctor, and I have called as well, and so we are waiting to hear what she wants to do. We are starting with home health agency visits at the advice of the doctor following the series of UTIs. I am concerned that the doctor may want to put Philip in the hospital to see what is going on, and I don't want that to happen. So perhaps I should ask whether hospice is the more appropriate service (it would probably be the same agency) to make it clear that we do not want invasive procedures. I expect a second nurse visit sometime this week and in the meantime am trying to keep calm. Doris

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 am

My husband had a similar problem while in a SNF year before last and it was renal failure. He recovered in the hospital, but I had a difficult time getting anyone at the SNF to take his swollen, weeping legs seriously. --Pat

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:07 am

If you do not want your husband hospitalized, hospice would be appropriate. I suggest you call the MD ASAP and request a referral to hospice, or ask the home health agency for a hospice referral ASAP. Sorry to ask but do you have all final arrangements made?
Robin

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:02 am

Doris, I don’t post often but felt I had to reply to you as a matter of urgency. About 2 years ago my 87 year old dad with Lewys puffed up with fluid considerably over a couple of weeks. We eventually called a doctor who had him admitted to hospital immediately. It turned out to be left ventrical heart failure and he had to have the fluid drained off slowly to avoid a heart attack. I am not saying this is your husband’s problem, but I do think he should be checked out straight away.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:37 pm

I am in agreement if you don't want him in the hospital again, yes perhaps it is time for a Hospice evaluation, the hospital stays can really be hard on our loved ones!
Good Luck!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]