View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 When you, the caregiver, are sick 

Post When you, the caregiver, are sick
I've had a sinus infection and sore throat for the past few days and, while I'm not terribly sick, I find myself getting impatient with my husband, especially with his nonstop delusional questions. I am still able to care for him. But it makes me wonder: What do you do when you are very sick? The last time I was really sick, he happened to be in the hospital. Tell me about your experiences with this and how you handled it. --Pat

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Sorry you aren't feeling well but I think all caregivers should have some sort of backup in place in emergencies, we just never know from one day to another! Of course I am mentioning this but as a caregiver I had nothing in place either!

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:29 pm
Profile WWW

Pat - the best thing you can do for both of you is get some anti biotics, and you might want to try one of those Nedy Pot (spelling?) things. Lots of people use that pot with salt water and get a lot of relief from sinus infections. I tried it and didn't work well at all, but I think I'm the exception! It took 4 attempts to get my dr. to prescribe antibiotics a few weeks ago and I was REALLY sick by the time she prescribed them. Then I needed a second course because it was so bad. My tonsils were super absessed, so get to your dr. asap so you don't get worse. I still have the cough from it. (it's been about 6 weeks with the cough!) Feel better! And get someone to help you out so you don't get even more worn out and sicker. Lynn

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Yep. When I worked in Yuma during the winter, I could just run over the border and get some Azithromycin or some Levaquin. My sinus infections almost never resolve without intervention. I wouldn't abuse antibiotics but I do know when I require them and hate to have to make a doctor appointment just to confirm the obvious.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Post Getting sick
I use a combination of tensing my stomach muscles and telling myself, "no, you can't get sick now" to stop any sickness that I think I'm getting. Seems to work. No, seriously, I asked if I could go in the ALF if I had a cold and they said yes but I would have to wear a mask. If I had the flu, no way. Luckily (knock on wood) I'm pretty healthy. It's kind of ironic that I spend so much of my life on a disease. If I absolutely could not do my shift I would hire a caregiver or my husband or sister would have to cover.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:00 pm

I had to have a gallbladder surgery which was outpatient but about 8 hours in the hospital and then sent home. A friend stayed with me during the night to help me help my husband, which I didn't do but the friend did, and to help me get better. She cooked my breakfast, lunch and others brought dinner the next day and cleaned up the dishes. I was back on my feet then. It was an easy surgery, it was my first ever surgery. If you get sick, call a friend who can just stop by and even do dishes or small chores so you dont have to, or pick up a meal for you to eat out or your meds. Friends are great that way, even if tey don't do the care for hubby at least the can help you.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]