View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Screaming Banshee 

Post Screaming Banshee
Have any of you seen the animated Hallmark e-cards with the Screaming Banshee? They are really cute! It's the way I often feel inside, while totally calm and poised on the outside. :lol:

Today, he wanted to do something useful and I told him he could vacuum if he wanted to. Of course, the vacuum cleaner is totally useless and doesn't work right and I'll have to buy another one right away. Just like his electric shavers. :wink: It's so weird, him wanting to help, since he never did before he got LBD, but most housework chores are just too demanding, both physically and mentally. Other than folding clothes and maybe dusting, I can't think of many things he can safely handle. :(

Note: The reason he couldn't use the vacuum is that he was simply unable to push it. It hurts him that I am able to use it easily. He is getting much weaker, even though he is eating well and not losing any weight.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Do you have a little Dustbuster or something like that? Maybe he could handle that and have it keep him busy for a while? Or even a broom or dustmop?

Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:24 pm

Yes, I do have him use the Dirt Devil and he likes that. It's great for getting little clumps of dog hairs. Once it stops raining, I will have him sweep the deck. It has a good, high railing on it. I had a whole new deck, railing and locking gate put on last summer just so he could be out there. It's only a ground-level deck. Thanks for the great suggestions, Lynn! :)

It seems that the less he is able to do, the more he wants to try. He was that way about driving, a few years ago. Thankfully, people other than myself [one of his friends, for one] told him they wouldn't ride with him any more. I've been doing the driving and towing for about five years. It must be awful to know that, week by week, you are losing your grip on everything--your body, your mind, reality, etc. :(

Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:36 pm

It is a sad situation, and when the person has even a slight grip on reality once in a while they really get down because in those lucid moments they can understand just how disabled they've become. I think that is why my dad is so angry and depressed all the time. I think he gets realistic glimpses of what's going on and he's just in such a terrible state mentally and physically. My counselor told me the one good thing about dementia is that as it gets worse, most people lose that anger because they don't understand how bad off they are. I don't know if/when that will ever happen for my dad. He just seems to keep going down hill and never getting to a place of acceptance or calmness. He doesn't understand that a lot of his thinking is delusional or paranoid, so he gets angry about everything. (like where is he going to dinner? How's he going to get there? What if they forget to come get him? How will they get him to his meals in the snow? etc. etc.) Then he gets angry when we tell him no one will forget him and so on.... He thinks I lie to him a lot!

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:05 pm

Every night my husband wants to put his shoes back on after I get him ready for bed because he thinks he has to walk outside in the rain to get to his bedroom and he doesn't want to get his feet wet. He also needs transportation to get there. I've read that some on this forum actually drive their LO's around at night and then back 'home'. I'm not really into doing that, as it's not easy getting him into and out of the car..

Also, he calls his bed a 'boat'. Not sure why, I guess it's just a word thing.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Maybe you can visualize yourself on a boating vacation when you go to bed at night and take yourself mentally to some far away restful place, going to sleep as the waves lap the sides of the boat (aka bed). I think I'm hypnotizing myself to sleep.......

Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:30 pm

On the comment of the vacuum, I agree maybe a lightweight type of electric broom. I have a Stick Dirt Devil that is ever so light and pushs with ease, I use it in and atround the kitchen but it will work on the carpet.
One of the jobs I gave my hubby was the silverware, I would take the clean out of the dishwasher and carry the draw silverware holder to him at the table and he would sit for a long time doing it.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:01 pm
Profile WWW

We used to have a boat. Maybe that's what he's thinking of? I loved sleeping on the boat because we would be rocked to sleep. :)

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Irene, I really like the silverware idea! I'll try it tomorrow! Thanks. --Pat :)

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:06 pm

A little note on the silverware, I always told him I just didn't have time to do it and it would be a big help if he did it and it made him feel like he was really helping!

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:17 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, definitely! I always make it seem like I really need his help. :wink:

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Post Bed is a boat
Charlie had enough mental acuity to explain what happened to him at night. He said that when he went to sleep, the bed floated out into the middle of the lake and drifted all over, but that in the morning it came back to the "dock" and when he woke up it was back in our bedroom again. We live by the ocean, not on a lake.

Another problem that Charlie experienced was thinking that the toilet wouldn't flush, or that it overflowed. Of course, neither was the case, but night after night he would wake me because either the toilet wouldn't flush or there was water all over.

Water obsessions seem to be common in LBD.

Joy

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:56 pm

Yes! My husband often sees puddles of water where they are not and thinks his pants are wet when they aren't.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:57 pm

I totally agree. My Mum thinks that theres water dripping from the ceiling constantly, and that her shoulders are getting wet from it. Also, she tells everyone that walks into her room to mind the puddles!!!!!!

Annie.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]