View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Wandering 

Post Wandering
Does any one have any suggestions on a portable door alarm. For a couple of nights now my LO has been dreaming again. Last night he got up because he thought a bull was chasing me. I woke up in time to intervene before he headed outside but what if I don't wake up in time and he gets outside.
Just wondering if anyone has any good inexpensive ideas.
Mary

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:03 pm

Could you put one of those special childproof locks on the door so that he can't get the door open?

If you do a search on "alarm," you'll see that sharonst posted something about a wireless alert system.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:37 pm

I don't know if this will help because I don't know your husband's mobility level, but at the ALF where my dad is, they have an alarm attached to him. One part attaches to his chair during the day, and the other part is clipped on to the back of his shirt. If he tries to get up or falls out of his chair the 2 parts separate, thus turning an alarm on which his caregivers hear. Since he has fall about 10 times after he went to live at ALF, they had to come up with something because if he was on the floor, he couldn't reach the call buttons they have.
Like Robin, I think there may be fairly inexpensive door alarms that are easy to install, that work kind of like the alarm thing my dad is using.
Good luck. Lynn

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Post post subject
Thanks for getting back to me so fast. My husband is very mobile, that is the problem. Just a little stiffness when he first starts walking. I like the idea of the child proof locks. Any thing that would slow him down a bit or make a little noise so I would wake up. I know what you mean with the alarm on the back of the wheel chair. He doesn't use any equipment to ambulate but you know the idea would be the same. Just put it on the door instead of the back of the chair. Hmmmm.... You both have just given me some ideas.
Mary

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:09 pm

I just thought of something else. At an Alz. facility down the road they have put Velcro across people's doorways. Some of the residents have been wandering in and out of other people's rooms. One of the staff told me it's just enough to deter people from entering someone else's space (or in your case, leaving the space). Is there an open doorway, say your bedroom doorway, or a hall doorway where just having something across might deter him? If someone else needs to get through, they just "unhook" the Velcro then reattach it, but they have found it quite effective at this facility.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Post post subject
The Velcro. What a wonderful idea for my aunt. She is 96 and in an
ALF but has paranoid ideas. She is always saying people are in her room while she sleeps. They use her toothbrush, take her underwear, you name it. She wants a room with a lock but with her level of dementia they are not able to have a lock on her door. I am going to call immediately the social worker there and speak to them about the velcro.

As far as my LO is concerned, I think I might need the alarm and have had several good ideas already. I found one on the internet that has the magnets like the chair alarm except it goes on the door. If the door is open a chime or alarm, whichever you choose will go off and can be set by a touch tone key pad. Best yet, with shipping etc, it cose $14.95.
I will post how it works. I think this one will work because I can tell him its to protect us from intruders.

I am off to call the ALF where my Aunt lives to tell them my idea.
Mary

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Glad you found a door alarm and liked the Velcro idea. They just had a little piece of the sticky backed Velcro stuck to each side of the door trim, and then enough of the opposite side of Velcro stretched across the door. Hope it works for your aunt. Lynn

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 pm

I bought my mom one from Radio Shack. It's a motion alarm and chimes loudly when it detects movement. She thought people were stealing things too so I bought this to notify her when the door opened of course it "never worked" because it never went off. Gee, I wonder why? Now I use it for my husband. I put him to bed and put it in the bathroom and it chimes when he wanders in there to pee on the floor. This has saved me a lot of cleanings! You could put it anywhere and it'll at least notify you when they are up and at em. I think it was about $20-$30
Lori

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:39 am

Post post subject
Lori
I had to laugh when you said your mom's alarm didn't work because it never went off. :lol:
My brother, who along with myself over see the cares of our Aunt, said the velcro sounds like a good idea but he can just see Auntie saying something like, "they still get in the room when I'm sleeping". He's probably right but we are going to give it a try. I have to count on him when I am in Florida but when I get back I try to give him a break.
Mary

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:27 am

The Alzheimer's store has a good number of things that has helped us out.
The Talking Motion Detective is an intelligent motion detector that will provide pre-recorded messages to alert the caregiver of unauthorized activity (such as wandering) in the home. “Dad is trying to go out the front door.”
$152.95

This works great for us. My mom gets up all through out the night and this is a wireless motion detector. We put it right out side her door on the opposite wall so as soon as she opens the door it tell us with the pre recorded message that I did with the speaker is in our room. You can get them to go to your front door or any where in your house. This way I sleep (when I can) a little easier knowing it will wake me up when she gets up. Hope it helps,
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]