View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 My first morning off! 

Post My first morning off!
Have employed a caregiver through a local agency for four hours a week. I had this morning off from 8-12! :D It went fine [I had previously had to cancel the appointment because my husband freaked out]. Maybe because it's a guy, not a girl [he hates being 'bossed around' by females, including me!] but they seemed to get along well. It was so nice to go out and shop and run errands on my own! I feel less trapped already. I'm planning to make it twice a week: One day for errands, appointments, shopping, etc. and one day for visiting, lunch out with daughters or friends, etc. I'm ecstatic! :D :D :D

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:50 pm

MT - I'm so glad you were able to get out and it worked out for you. You know you need time away from all the stress of caregiving, so that's just wonderful that you did it and it worked out!
Last summer I hired some part time helpers to come in and give my dad a shower, fix his breakfast and lunch, etc. He didn't want any help at first, but I insisted and once they started coming he loved it! There were 4 or 5 different young women who took turns coming in twice a day. He really looked forward to having them there and was a lot less grouchy.
When he fell and had his big mental/physical decline one of the things he was most upset about was his caregivers wouldn't know where he had gone (he had just been taken to the hospital). I was so pleased that I had gotten them for him his last 3 weeks at home.
I hope you have a restful night, and great job on taking care of yourself. Lynn

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:59 pm

You GO Girl!!!! Enjoy yourself! You deserve it!
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:15 am

Yes, a few hours "off" can turn me from a grouchy caregiver back into a loving companion. I love my Fridays when Bob goes to day care, and after a day apart, even though I'm not always sure he understands or contributes much, we have much to chat about over dinner. Do what it takes, and enjoy your time. !

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.".....Thoreau

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]