View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Wonderful Blog on Living w/Dementia Graciously 

Post Wonderful Blog on Living w/Dementia Graciously
This blog is wonderful!

Judith Kennedy of South Dakota started her blog on "living graciously" with dementia in August 2009. Her husband has been diagnosed with DLB. Judith is a school psychologist and licensed marriage and family therapist. Here are a few excerpts from some early posts:

August 10, 2009
"My intention in creating this blog is to find meaning and purpose in this chapter of my life and to assist others living with someone with dementia by sharing what I learn. The goal and intention my husband and I have set is to have the highest possible quality of life we can create. I will share my experiences of living with and adapting for a person with dementia.

The question I am most asked regarding dementia is: am I getting Alzheimer's? I feel some qualification in answering this because of my professional training, but more so because I have been living with Dementia with Lewy Bodies for many months. Most people have not heard of this dementia, but according to Mayo Clinic information, it is second occurring only after Alzheimer's. Recognized in 1996 as a distinct dementia, Dementia with Lewy Bodies is a combination of the dementia associated with Alzheimer's and symptoms of Parkinson's.

As we age we all have periodic trouble with remembering the name of something or in retrieving the word we want to use. Dementia is more than that. Dementia is forgetting how to put gas in one's car even though one earned his way through college working in a gas station. If you or someone you love is forgetting familiar tasks, have your family doctor refer you to a neuropsychologist. The current thinking is that the sooner appropriate medications are started, the more effect they have in slowing the disease.

In this blog I will share what I have found that works best in living graciously with someone who has dementia. Join me in our inquiry for the best treatments while we await a cure."

August 11, 2009
"What I have discovered in living with a spouse with dementia is 3 priorities:
1. Get good neuropsychological testing so that you both know what you are dealing with.
2. Arrange for enough emotional support and fun for yourself.
3. Arrange the house/setting in ways that prevent problems.
4. Find out what resources are available to support both of you."

Robin

http://dementialivingwithitgraciously.blogspot.com/

Dementia: Living with it Graciously
How do you know if it is just memory lapses or if you are living with a form of dementia? Memory lapses are when you have trouble once in awhile retrieving a word. It is more likely dementia when someone has trouble doing a task once familiar and easy for them. If in doubt, see a neuropsychologist for evaluation for memory and cognitive processing.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]