View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I can't seem to eat, anyone else have this problem? 

Post I can't seem to eat, anyone else have this problem?
I seem to be having problems eating since my mother's LBD behavior problems have increased. A hospitilization and being pushed out of one assisted living residence to another which may not be willing to keep her... all around XMas. Yikes. It's always great to start the new year with a diet, but geez. I really don't want to eat anything at all.

My mother, the patient, has become a light and finicky eater as well, but she's always up for dessert. Dessert is the last thing I want!

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Post Light Eating
I find that I don't have much of an appetite and that I tend to forget about eating. Mealtimes pass and I don't notice when I'm with my mother. Her food smells good but I don't want any. In my case, it helps to keep my weight down. My husband makes me fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning and I take my vitamins. Also, I find my favorite snack food which is usually fish (salmon) or cheese. After all, I live in the Pacific NW. But my eating rhythm is definitely not the same. I am the same way when I have a big project at work. Eating is not a priority.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 pm

I'll try to focus on the upside of my almost complete loss of appetite and lose a few pounds :roll: .

I also take vitamins and drink a meal replacement drink that is supplemented with many nutrients. Costco makes one that tastes pretty good.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:34 pm

I went through this in October and November after my MIL moved in with us. She was taken to the ER 4 times and hospitalized twice. Thankfully my appetite is back - at least until the next crisis.It really improved after we got hospice invovled in her care. Today the social worker comes. Hang in there.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:58 am

Boyfriend offered to fix me some eggs this moring, and the thought of solid food... well... not a good thought.

My Mom has also been to the ER several times since she has been in assisted living this past year. Before that she lived in an apartment inside my home, and I had in home caregivers assisting with her care during the day.

I must confess having her home for Christmas and being the sole physical caregiver 24 hours a day was demanding. I had no appetite and was just generally very sad.

It must be tough being a daughter in law of an LBD patient. It would be harder for sons to provide some of the physical care needed, and doing this physical care for someone who is NOT your parent is a lot.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:06 am

I wish! I've gained ten pounds since my husband came home from the ALF three months ago. Making holiday treats didn't help. :oops: Cooking food he likes has also contributed, but I think it's mostly stress. I'm not fat, but my clothes don't fit very well so I need to take some New Years measures.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 pm

I too can equate with the weight gain and loss.

Before hubby was dx'd with LBD, I was working, running from one doctor to the next looking for the answer - I did lose weight.

Now - I'm retired, making 3 square meals a day and he's in a good place with his illness - I'll admit to gaining at least 10 lbs. And as Mockturtle said, I'm not fat, but my clothes are rather tight.

Karen

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:44 pm

Post Did someone say weight?
I Wish it was only ten pounds! I'm a stress eater and between the LBD and a few other stressors - well. let's just say I'm not a size 10 anymore.

It's partly stress eating and partly (now, this may sound like the excuse I hope it is) trying to get Mom to eat. There's a lot of cooking going on trying to make something nutritious that interests her enough to stay awake long enough to eat.

And me with my niece's wedding in April!

Hey, Scientist and you other skinneys, don't forget the water. If you can't eat, at least stay hydrated.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:12 am

Since my hubby's been diagnosed I've gained 50 pounds. I hate it I hate the disease and I don't like myself either. Just went looking in the cupboards to see what will fill the ache in my heart. Nothing! I know that but still I graze and eat wrong mostly due to time constraints. Anyway I've joined a gym and do workout 4 times a week and I feel better emotionally too. The anti depressants keep weight on you. :roll:

Lori

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:13 am

Post gaining, gaining
I wish I could wrap my brain around NOT eating. I do comfort myself with food these days. At 59, the pounds just do not come off easily (or at all) and chocolate just makes me feel happy for at least the few seconds while I'm eating it.
Maybe I should try hypnosis.... I refuse to buy any more clothes. I am already in my "fat" clothes, and am the highest pregnancy weight I ever was. This is so depressing I can't even write about it.....
And my husband has NO body fat. How fair is that?

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 pm

I hear ya ltcvt! My husband has always been short and thin and all he does all day long is snack snack snack. Now he's even picking things up off the floor and eating them. If I ate like that I would weigh 400lbs! It is such a hard issues but I know all the stress causes lots and lots of fat hormones to course thru our bodies. Just do the best you can. I'm trying to ask myself how eating this choc, or cookie or chip is going to help me in the long run or will I feel worse upon worse. Sometimes I pop it in my mouth, other times I go to bed or get a piece of gum. I try to pray for God's help to ot eat this and turn to him for the comfort.This too shall pass and we can then concentrate on getting back into our regular clothes, or for me my regular fat clothes instead of my fat fat clothes! I also found that even if I do eat right that I can't loose because of the stress loss and guilt!! Be kind to yourself you are doing a fabulous job taking care of things for your loved one.
Lori

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:27 am

Post exercise
Do you exercise at all? I think I need to exercise about 5 hours a day minimum and duct tape my mouth shut for about a month.
I at least do refuse to do fat, fat clothes. One set of fat is enough! But I better do something soon or I will be naked - what a scary thought that is!

Neither of my sons nor my husband have any body fat, and they aren't even his biological kids! It's so unfair. And chocolate tastes so good.....

Here's to drinking more water instead of eating when we get the munchies! I'm fine at meals, it's the in between stuff that's such a killer for me.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 pm

They say it's better to have a piece of pure chocolate than to eat a cookie or some other high carb snack. :)

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Does a pound of chocolate sound good right about now? I certainly do eat my share of chocolate, but cookies, especially choc. chip ones, OMG! OK - I'll try to stick to just plain chocolate and try to ween myself off that!

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Boy, can I equate with the chocolate chip cookie! My hubby is really the chocoholic in our house and he needed to always have this really good choc chip cookie in the house. I loved it too and used to try to eat only one, but you know how hard that is to do. Anyway, when he was dx'd as diabetic we had to give them up. Hard, hard, hard to do, but we did it. Now I only have sweets in the house for a special occasions. He gets his chocolate high on fudgcicles (not sugar added) for dessert every night.

Pat

Those guys - no body fat. Hubby is the same way! All his life he could eat anything at all & usually stayed around 175 pounds on his 6 foot frame. I think I gain weight just looking at the good stuff!

I think the duct tape might work for me too! LOL!

Karen

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next