View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Any Suggestions 

May I suggest you pull up past posts relative to driving. We all know their reaction times are not adequate for driving. There has been much discussion about this and if you need to, get your doctor, or the nurse to tell the LO they CANNOT drive. You need to be aware that if your LO is involved in an accident and the other side can prove they should not have been driving due to their illness...the insurance companies WILL NOT PAY. I certainly would not risk everything just to let them drive. There are many delicate ways to handle this. It is their one last hold onto independence which is one reason they don't want to give it up...and while we do understand that...its not worth the risk of killing someone else. I told my LO if he drove, I would call the police. His sister told him the same thing. He didn't like it but that was how it was going to be. They can't have and do everything they want. While this sounds harsh...you have to consider those who may be maimed or killed. I admire all of you but please protect yourself and your loved ones.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Dianne: Altho' I agree with you completely, I think if I were to do something like this my husband would become violent. He's a sweetie as long as everything goes his way, but if something isn't as he wants it to be he gets really nasty. I'm not sure when I'll be able to take a firmer stand with the dr. & one of my kids, but I'm counting on knowing when the time arrives. A friend's mom wiped out a few mailboxes which made it easier to take away the keys. Hope it doesn't get that far. Yesterday when I saw my FMD, she told me to just hide his keys & made a couple of other remarks that said to me she has absolutely no idea what being a caregiver involves. And she's listed as a geriatrician! I'm seriously thinking of finding another dr. whose not so young. Dee

Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:31 am

Dee- You are so right...unless you have walked the walk they really don't understand what being a caregiver is all about. The Dr. should support you in this and in fact handle it for you. Ask him if he would like to be held accountable if a serious accident happens...he most probably would change his tune. My LO got really mad at his sister and me for saying we would call the police but it also gave him a sound warning that this was not to be taken lightly. I was fortunate in the beginning of his LBD as some of my husbands first symptoms were hallucinations...while we were on a trip and he was driving in the rain seeing things and swerving on the freeway..while nothing was there. He finally listened to me, pulled over and I drove the rest of the trip. The severity of the hallucinations scared him enough that he gave up driving right then. Not that he didn't want to try later...and that is when we told him we would report him. He hated loosing his last shred of independence and I will too when the time comes but hopefully I will think of the safety of myself and others. I don't envy you this task. Good luck!

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:42 am

Every thing we can do to help them feel "normal" or do th1ings they once did helps so much. My prayers are with you and your family

Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2