View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Possible tip for handling the pee problem 

DiverticulOSIS is a condition of the lower intestine (left side) in which little "pouches" or "sacs" form on inside the wall of the colon. Occasionally, a piece of food, stool or other item gets caught in the sac, and an infection festers there. Once it becomes infected, one is experiencing diverticulITIS (the suffix "itis" meaning infection).

An episode of acute diverticulITIS is horribly painful, usually in the lower left abdominal area, accompanied by fever, constipation (or thin pencil-like stools caused by the stool squeezing past the infected/inflamed area) and general misery. As soon as you suspect someone is developing diverticulitis, get them to the doctor or immediate care clinic as quickly as possible. The fix is usually pretty easy -- two weeks on antibiotics, usually cipro and flagyl together.

Untreated diverticulITIS can lead to serious or life-threatening conditions, e.g. intestinal abscess, colon blockage, or rupture resulting in peritonitis.

If someone has repeat bouts of diverticulitis, the doctor (after colonoscopy) will often recommend surgery to remove the section that has diverticulosis (the pouches or sacs).

Hope that helps!

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:26 am

After reading your posts I just realised I have to give my Brother a big thankyou.

It was 2 years ago that Dad was having a holiday at my Brother's house. Dad had been weeing all over the floor and my Brother commented on the phone to me the mess. He told me he was going to get Dad to sit down to wee and ever since then Dad has sat on the loo to wee and we very occassionally have any mess.
Thankgoodness it was earlier into the disease and Dad was able to adapt but I have no doubts this has saved me from 2 years of mess.

If you are early into the Lewy journey I suggest you give this a try it certainly beats that surprised jolt you get when you step in the wee with bare feet.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:23 pm

Post post subject
Hi
I keep wondering when the wee problem will start for us. Then I realize after reading the above post, my LO sits down to wee. He has for a long time and early on in this LBD journey I started to keep a urinal in the BR (left over from the hospital) in case he gets the idea to stand up. If he gets up in the night he will use the little plastic tube, as he calls it. When he was in urine retention mode I made sure he used the urinal so I could see if he was emptying his bladder. I hope I will escape the wee on the floor, problem.
Mary

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:32 am

After I picked myself up from the floor after laughing till crying...
gee whiz, wish these brilliant ideas had surfaced when we were drowning in pee here! Tried a lot ...we discussed many but not the kitty litter suggestion.. it does make sense. Renata, you never cease to amaze and amuse me.

After the undiagnosed cancer, until late stage, my LO had... tests, tests, tests and they didn't find it till so close to the end...and by accident by a staff physician at a physical rehab hospital???!!! It still bothers me a lot.
I am so very concerned about Jerome as he is exhibiting pain. Have they done ultrasound...mri..petscan? My LO did not express any feelings of pain therefore they didn't look for other things. You both are in my thoughts a lot.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:45 am

I am with you ...right there..write a thank you note..then cry...another note..then cry...read a card...cry again. After 34 years...alone. The quiet is deafening.
MM is right...you quickly forget about the pee and poo issues..never thought that would be true but it is. You forget about many things that were so stressful at the time and now seem but a whisper. Longing for another day that cannot be.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:53 am

Dianne & MM, My deepest sympathy to you both, and thank you for wanting to be here to help others. I got quite teary with "he'll put his arm around your shoulders"

About the pee, we tried four different brands and several sizes before we found some briefs that worked for us. Our night solution has become the condom catheter. Started out with the leg type, and now using the regular night bag. It works most nights, but I'm still chaning the entire bed about once a week. Before that he was getting up every hour or two and peeing wherever....floor, bed, bathroom floor His unsteadyness meant I had to help, so I was getting a little grouchy after almost two months without more than two hours sleep a night.

My dear seems OK during the day, I help him to the bathroom and he uses a urinal there, it saves the bathroom floor and the rugs. So, keep trying, and maybe you can find the right solution for you.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.".....Thoreau

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Post pee time
I just read all of the great ideas for handing the situation. I just want to say thank you for sharing ideas on this frustrating problem. I know have maid's knees from cleaning the bathroom floor so many times a day!

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Thank God it's Mom I'm caring for and not Dad!

What I've read here - that's REAL love!

Dianne and Manymoons, I'm sort of new here, but please accept my sympathies. I've read some past posts, and I want to tell you that you are amazing women.

Kate

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:32 pm

Post bathroom
After re-reading your many creative ideas - in the middle of the night I had a wacky idea. We have a shower next to the toilet and we have an old toilet (you can buy them at salvage yards, etc for about $20 too) I put the toilet in the shower over the drain. Now I have ONLY to convince him. I am today taking the rug idea to using a scrap of linoleum cut to fit around the toilet. Then I only have to scrub the toilet and lift up the liner to wash -at least I am going to try it out. I also was toying with the idea of using dog piddle pads...

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Janice, Lets hope your husband doesn't decide to have a BM in the toilet that sets in the shower stall. :P On a serious note, he may loose he balance and not being attached, the toilet could tip over.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Post toilet
Good point. Thank you for your imput! Another head is such a help. I am going it alone with no family and only one person to help in an emergency. I know the future holds a mandatory change but for now...

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Post Re: Possible tip for handling the pee problem
Here is an absolutely useless tidbit about urine, but it may help reduce the yuck factor: the urine of a healthy person is sterile, although it picks up bacteria with time and exposure.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:20 am

Janice - I am so sorry your support system is only one person, but am glad you have at least one! My friends and family were, and still are such a help. Although it's been almost 2 months since my dad died, we still have friends in his town always offering to help with something. Like this morning, with about 6" of heavy, wet snow and no snow shovel anywhere on the property I called one of my dad's neighbors to borrow a snow shovel. She brought 2 over, and she helped shovel out the driveway!
Anyway, I am so glad you have one person to rely on for help and support. Take care of you, you have a heavy burden. Lynn

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:27 am

Just discovered a neat Alzheimer's site. Two articles I read are by the editor about how he beat the urinary incontinence (think Pavlov) and poop problems. Since references to articles and other resources are seldom followed up, I will quote a paragraph from each article to show that they are engagingly written. I haven't explored the site yet.

It is www.alzheimersreadingroom.com

Poop article snippet:
I tried all the possible solutions to the dreaded Alzheimer's bowel movement that are available under the sun. I tried so many that I can't describe all of them to you. For example, somebody told me about a certain kind of tea. I tried it and a couple more, didn't work for us.

I tried everything: Citrucel, Benefiber, Dulcolax, overnight relief, stool softener, and the industrial strength stuff. You know that pill that gives you a stomach ache when you wake up in the morning and then the explosion. For some reason I don't understand, a lot of women I know use that pill and recommended it. They all describe it the same way with the same look on their face. I also learned that these same women don't poop when nature calls. When their body tells them its time to poop, they don't do it. They hold it in. They get clogged up.

Urinary incontinence snippet:
Once we finally developed the current solution, it still took many months before it started to work effectively. Here is some good news. The solution is becoming more and more effective over time.

My solution is not perfect. It does not work every single day. It does not work every single night. I can say this with some confidence -- we no longer experience the flood. Now its more like the little tiny accident.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2