View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 My First Night Away 

Post My First Night Away
I had my first respite night last night as our sons came to dad-sit. I spent the night at a friend's house hoping for a complete night of sleep. While I didn't sleep the night through, it was helpful to have a night when I didn't have to get up 3-6 times and help my husband to the bathroom or to a different bed, etc. The boys did a great job with their dad, but instead of being relieved that I wasn't up all night with him, I discovered that I missed being with him terribly! I imagine we all share that seesaw ride of loving our care-receiver so much while wearing ourselves out giving the care. I plan to trade houses with my friends within the next two weeks and try sleeping away from home again. Maybe taking care of myself takes some practice.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:46 pm

I think when a caregiver is in caregiver mode it is hard to take care of ourselves and I can remember when I had the rare chance to get away from it all, I only sat and worried about what was at home, so I don't think it is something we can turn on and off. Glad you got a chance to get away for a bit!

Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]