View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Time 

She isn't interested in anything.

What about Coupon clipping??

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:20 am
Profile WWW

I have tried so many things. I haven't tried coupn clipping. I guess the idea of sizzors in her hands scare me. She has bad tremors in her hands. I got out books of art she has she looks at them once at that was it. Poems, nope. I feel useless. She is bored and I can't find anything to spark her intrest. If I was a man it would be totally diffrent! lol
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:35 am

Post Would news from the past interest her?
I attended a lecture recently on dementia and the speaker recommended a book called, "Chronicles of the 20th Century". As I understand it, its a picture book with newspaper and magazine front page articles about the current events in the 20th century. It is in black and white and in color. I've ordered it from Amazon because I think it might help to keep my LO occupied. Boredom is a problem, no question. I read to her and we play "pool" by rolling the balls around on a pool table and I help her with crossword puzzles as well as the activities at her ALF. She's so smart! I Love Lucy films don't keep her occupied for long.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:29 pm

I've got to echo the coupon clipping. Tammy, your Mom sounds so much like mine. My Mom also has awful tremors. But hers calm a bit when she has something engrossing to do. I'll bet your Mom would be insulted by children's safety scissors, wouldn't she? Mine would be. But there are scissors that have rounded tips and are "grown up." Some things that I'd rather not have cut do sometimes get caught in the scissors, but I've resigned myself to an imperfect home.

Another thing you might try is scrapbooking - or at least organizing family pictures - the ones that end up in boxes forever. I think just about everyone has some. Those that are of people she recognizes could be labelled and organized. But be careful. My Mom almost threw out an old scrapbook that turned out to be her mother's. Not recognizing the people in the pictures at that particular moment almost lost us an important family record. Maybe you could have a bin to put anything she doesn't recognize into. Then save it for the same activity later, when she might recognize more or when a family member of her generation is available to help.

Try having her record family stories would be good for her and good for you to have in the future. You might have to prompt with questions, and some memories are likely to be as bit inaccurate, but still, what a treasure they will be.

I think our mothers want to feel that their activities are useful, not just something to keep busy. Any task you can hand off, like sorting socks, has a good chance of working for them. Just don't be too concerned about whether the socks match!

Lots of luck!

Kate

Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2