View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Time 

Post Time
Good Morning to everyone! I usually look at the time on the posts, doesn't anyone to go bed? Caregivers NEED their rest. Take care of yourself and get some rest. I start seeing double after 10:00PM so I read through the day and if posting I need to do it a little earlier.
Take care, Gerry

Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:05 am

I too am an early person, it amazes me that so many are up that late at night too but again I know many are on the west coast. Me I am on the east coast and an early person, early to bed , early to rise!

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:13 am
Profile WWW

Well how many has gotten to the point of being so exhuasted you can't sleep. I am there. I can't take anything because I will miss my mom when she wakes up. She is asleep now and I am here typing. lol
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:37 pm

I hear you, Tammy! Right now it's 9:00 PM here and at 9:15 I'll be giving him his PM meds and putting him into bed. Yes, I am so exhausted that the very thought of getting ME ready for bed is almost too much. But I still brush and floss my teeth, wash my face, put on moisturizer and get into my nightgown. And then collapse into bed, knowing I'll be waking several times before the official 'getting up' time of 5:00 AM. Every night, though, I'm grateful to God that we have both survived another day. :D

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:11 am

And Today is a new day!! I hope you were able to get sound sleep in between times. I know it is easier said then done. Just getting back to sleep takes so long,then she is up again.
I have reclaimed the study to be my second bedroom. It is right next to my mom's room so I do not wake up my husband. He has to get up so early He works at a military base, and he really needs his sleep, his type of work he can't be sleepy. So on one of my runs to the bathroom with her around 3 am I go to the study, so next thing I know she is standing at the door way of the study yelling at me "WAKE UP". I jump up and she is standing there with no pants or pull-ups and I am thinking oh my gosh, I am tying to get her back in the bathroom and she is totally not understanding what is wrong. I am looking around for my husband,(this is the one thing he is hoping never to see) To find out he has already gone to work! :) So I get her dressed and put her back to bed. One thing that gets me through all this long mumbo jumbo is I didn't even here her get up! I ALWAYS HEAR HER! I think my body is telling me something, time for a break. I have prayed and left it in Gods hands to bring the one He wants for me. I have tried on my own and did not accomplish a thing.
SO off to anew day!!! Doctor apt. today, we are going to have the Medication talk.
Have a Blessed day!
Tammy

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:15 am

As you can see from earlier post the time posted doesn't reflect the actualy time we post, sometimes not even with the time zone into account. It has help me to get sleep to use a video monitor and hospital bed with rails so mom doesn't get up and fall. It helps. It's 7:45 am here.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:46 am

Laurie, how does the video monitor work? Do you have some kind of alarm to wake you up?

Does anyone know of a good warning system that will tell me when my Mom gets up? It has to be subtle or she will try to remove it. She still sleeps on her regular bed - not bedridden and doesn't fall out of bed, yet.

The night before last, I didn't hear her until I heard a bump and went to investigate. She was lying in the doorway between her bedroom and the bathroom. There was no way I could get her up in that circumstance, so I called the fire department for help. Our neighbor, Fire Chief Joe, was the first responder followed by three of his guys. They got her up so easily.

So last night I told her that I was going to start getting her up at 1:00 am to make a pit stop. She got up at 12:30 am and I was lucky to even hear her. I used to be able to hear her so easily and now I'm missing it too often. I can't sleep until I hear her snoring or talking with her visitors.

So I need to find something to wake me up that she won't notice. Help?

Kate

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:15 pm

This Is what we use. We mount the motion detector on the wall and the main system is our bedroom. It tells us everytime mom gets up. Here is the site we got it from. Hope it helps.
http://www.alzstore.com/
The Alzheimer's store has a good number of things that has helped us out.
The Talking Motion Detective is an intelligent motion detector that will provide pre-recorded messages to alert the caregiver of unauthorized activity (such as wandering) in the home. “Dad is trying to go out the front door.”
$152.95
Tammy

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Kate, I've been looking for alarms and there are several that may work for your mom. Check on line, there is a site "www.alzstore.com" with motion, magnetic and bed alarms. We have a medical supply store a few miles down from us so I'm going to check there. I need to alarm the exits so when Frank is confused I will know he's headed outside. I'd also like to get something for the bathrooms so I'd know when he went in and I could go help instead of going in to mop up. Good Luck.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:53 pm

With a video monitor there is a camera on LO and you have the receiver where you are. you can see them even in the dark and hear them. It cost $100 to $200 and are usually sold with baby monitors. "Summer" brand seems to work best. The worry isn't that they will fall out of bed. The worry is what will happen once up. It is just a matter of time before some broken bones or a sever cut. After both happen to mom (before with me) she finally feels safe in bed with rails. I told her it whould help her to grab the rail to roll over (even tho she was no longer able to do that). They will most likely never be able to understand or remember their limitations no matter how many time you tell them. Mom now can hardly stand up or assist in transfer but turn you back and her up!! So if I'm not sleeping in the room, I'm sleeping with the monitor by me and hear or see if she needs me. There is a mat alarm but it's expensive and it would probable scare the wits out of them and us.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Post Video monitors
I used the SUMMER Brand Monitor to watch Mr B. I was thankful for it and don't know how I could have cared for him with out it. I used one camera aimed at his bed and I had four or five screens in rooms throughout the home so I could roam freely and still keep watch. My eyes were forever glued to the screen no matter if I was preparing his tray or speaking with someone in the house or on the computer or phone. At night, the light from the screen had a soft tint/glow so that it was not distrubing {to me at least} I could hear him when he started making his way to the foot of the bed towards the bathroom and be at his side to stand ready if he got lost.

Search google for a place to order. It looks like Amazon is the least expensive. It is about fifty dollars more than when I was buying. Everything is higher.

DrP

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions. Tammy and Gerry, I went to www.alzstore and I was like a kid in a candy store. I got the monitor you told me about - the object is to have sound wake me, so the video monitor doesn't help in this circumstance. But we will probably get to that point, too. Did you know that they also have a device that turns a faucet off if the water temperature gets too high? I'm going to try that, too.

Wish me luck! I can't wait for everything to arrive! (I mentioned the kid in the candy store thing, right?) It's amazing the things that please us these days. So much better than jewelry???

Kate

Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:47 am

Katelu, it's amazing, all right! I get excited when the UPS truck delivers my husband's catheter supplies! :lol:

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:29 am

Post Video monitors
Kate, My video monitors also have sound... just like TV. Mr B could have his Cristy Lane music or his hymns playing and I would have music throughout the house. At night the rustle of the bed would rouse me to see if he just turned over or was it bathroom time. Of course, I also heard the conversatins with his people but if I did not want to listen, I could lower the sound and half sleep with one eye open. It became a way of life.

You are in for a huge treat! A gift to yourself.

DrP

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:45 am

I hope the motion dec. works for you. I do like it.
Dr.P, I will have to look into the vedio one in a bit for my mom. Right now though one thing I do like about the motion dector one is that the only sound it gives me is when it detects mom getting up. It plays back the pre-recorded message to let me know she is up. My husband is a very light sleeper and we have a baby momitor too and I have to keep that real low if I turn it on. Both of us with out sleep is not good.
I have tried other things on the site, games and I even went and bought coloring books and dot to dot books. She doesn't like any of them. I even thought about play dough. To help her hands ..nope. :( She isn't interested in anything.
You will sleep better with the motion dec alarm kate. Enjoy!
Tammy

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next