View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Palliative care 

Post Palliative care
I'm not sure where to post this, but I'll give it a stab because I think this will be helpful for many of us. There is a blog called Quality of Life that has an entry called Palliative Care for Dementia. I found the information tough to read, but helpful. Hope you feel the same.

I tried to provide the title as a link but I could not or rather wasn't savvy enough to figure it out. Usually my computer just highlights my links automatically, but it did not. I'd suggest a google search. Good luck. I think this particular entry was written 1/19/09. Anyway if there's a big problem, I can cut & paste it or perhaps someone has a suggestion. Dee

Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:18 pm

Post palliative care for dementia
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/330/7482/57

I found this and would like to read more but for this particular one I would need to be a member. There are many others but I don't have time to search right now. I believe this is a topic which has not been covered before. I could be wrong. Or rather, I should say it is a thread running through in all of our topics but not specific.

DrP

Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:50 pm

I can't quickly find this. Can you please TYPE in the initial web address, such as www.blogonqualityoflife.org. We can all find it from there. Or, forward me an email you have about it and I can extract the URL.
Robin

Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Post robin
This is the address: www.qualityoflifecare.com. The article was written in January, 2009. I'll look for the exact article. (It's awful. Sometimes I CRS! I wonder sometimes who has dementia! Sorry, but I have to laugh or I may cry.) Dee

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:15 pm

robin: more info! This time I wrote it down!!! which is what I usually do, except some days I forget. Anyway, if you go to the Quallity of Life Care web site, link & you look to the right hand column/info you'll see Palliative Dare Def as a highlight. When you click it, it takes you to the article called Palliative Care for Dementia. Hope you find it. I've sent it to several nursing classmates of mine who thought it was excellent. I wish some physicians would read it! Let me know what you think, if you are so inclined. Dee

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Post Palliative Care for Dementia
Dee, no time to say more than, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!". The article you mentioned is the best. Many others on the same site I will be exploring when I can.

Just as yesterday was a bummer at my house, today is a good day! And so it goes...

DrP

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:54 pm

When I clicked on "Palliative Care Def," I was taken to the World Health Organization (WHO) website, where there is a definition of palliative care.

Here's a link directly to the article you've found:
http://www.qualityoflifecare.com/?p=284#
Palliative Care for Dementia
January 18, 2009

I'll read it later....looks interesting as do many of the articles on this website.

Robin

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:43 am

I think this website is great for people considering palliative care and hospice.

The point of view expressed by Deanna in the Palliative Care for Dementia article is that we need to medicate those with dementia who are screaming because they are suffering from psychological/emotional pain. Do you agree with this point of view?

I liked the February 2009 post about hospice. Deanna says: "If you are terminally ill and want to live longer, your best chances of doing so is getting on hospice services."
http://www.qualityoflifecare.com/?p=310

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]