View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 taking long car trip 

Post taking long car trip
We have to make a car trip of 1200 miles next week, so many concerns about coping with Lewy's on this trip. My LO will not fly so that's out of the question, he gets angry with me if I even mention it. How do I deal with taking him to the bathoom in resturants while we're out? I know on the Interstates they usually have Family Restrooms available, so that makes it easier, but what about regular rest room facilities like in resturants, what do I do?

Fri May 15, 2009 7:39 pm
Profile YIM

After several times of taking my father into the men's restroom, I realized what a bad idea that was. Much better to take a man into a woman's restroom (assuming you are a woman), announce that you are helping out your LO, and head for the handicapped stall. Since women are in stalls with some of their clothes off, it's easier to accept that there may be a man "out there."

Fri May 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Is he well enough to use a male urinal? We now carry a small travel bag with "his bottle" in it...and a fresh Depend, wipes. Another person on this site told me she also carries a clean shirt and pants so we added that to our bag too. Never know when you will need a clean outfit.

Sat May 16, 2009 5:45 am

Often smaller restaurants just have a single toilet in a restroom- or ask the waitress to check for you and let people know there will be a man coming in. Usually if they're not swamped they will be glad to help. The biggest problem we had a long cross country trip was after dark. As long as we stopped and got settled before dark it was ok. -
Sharon

Sat May 16, 2009 8:15 am

Post thanks
All wonderful ideas. Thanks so much for being there for each other. I'm so lucky and blessed to have found this site. We leave Tuesday for our long journey by car, at the other end of the 1200 miles are children, grandchildren, and siblings who can help me for awhile. I will get to see my 92 year old mother whom I haven't seen for two years. Praise God and Please pray for a safe trip for us. Thank you again.

Sat May 16, 2009 11:03 am
Profile YIM

Whenever we had to be out and about and needed to use of the rest room for my husband I would ask for the manager and explain that I needed to be in the mens room to help, they always understood and would stand guard of the door, one time we came out and there were 5-6 men deep waiting and I said I am sorry for the hold up and each one said no problem, I always found *most* people were kind if they knew what was going on and if we had a long car trip I traveled with a urninal, just made things a little easier!
Good Luck!

Sat May 16, 2009 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]