View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Hair cut 

Post Hair cut
I have most things covered when it comes to caring for Mr B. but the hair cutting has reached a point where I need help. For years it was a fun outing. I would take him to man's barbershop... then his barber died so we went to the mall. later to Fantastic Sam's at my Winn Dxie shopping center. Then, I did not shop any more so I started giving him a neck trim.. then a full hair cut. He liked that but it is increasingly harder on my back. The final straw is the puppy gate. I cannot get the wheel chair through the opening of the gate which keeps the pup from having free run of the rest of the house. Pup loves to run and run at breakneck speed all over the house but sometime I need to keep her contained.

No child has stepped up to do this on a regular basis so its up to me.

Analyzing the situation, I thought about the cash he put aside for a "Rainy Day". Jeepers, if this is not rain, what is it?

Monday I have a lady barber coming. She will call on a monday morning to see how he is doing and what time. She wants to do this on a freebie basis but I told her that I will be needing her every few weeks so we should have it as a business deal. She replied, "We will talk about that later. I'll call you Monday morning".

Your thoughts on how I should handle this. I know it has been discussed before about accepting help but this is from a working lady whom I have never met.

I'm proud of myself. Next thing may be a pedicure. The kids try to do that but there are usually so many things I have lined up for them when they come, the toe nails stay at the bottom of the list.

DrP

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice", This is the way my husband, Mr B., introduced me in 2006 to the people only he knew. Death due to pneumonia. Lewy Body Dementia diagnosed post mortem at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Some people are so wonderful! I would insist on paying her, and maybe you can put the blame on to Mr. B ("he would be so angry if I didn't pay you").

Can she do the "works" sometime (haircut, manicure, pedicure)? Consider having her "do" you too! You deserve it!

Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:04 pm

I would meet her and discus the payment in person- maybe she wants to help for a reason(maybe a relative she wished she could help). Let her know you have some set aside for a rainy day and this is it. If all else fails tell her you'd like to make a contribution toward her being able to help others.-
Sharon

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:59 pm

Does this lady barber have her own shop? Make sure you check her credentials prior to letting her into your home. I mention this as they just uncovered a scam in the city where I live...folks taking advantage of the seniors. You are a very saavy lady so I am sure you covered this but just double checking.
That aside. She may be a good kind hearted person wanting to give something back to someone in the community. I agree with you ..it should be a business arrangement...and I agree with Robin...perhaps she can give Mr. B and you "the works." That would be a special treat for both. If she insists on doing it at no charge, you could surprise her with a gift certificate to a local restaurant or shop. Or tell her you would like to make a small contribution to a charity of her choice.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:19 am

I agree with everyone else here it should be a business agreement and let her know by you paying it will help you depend she will come back other times as needed, you need that type of security.Please do be careful with whom you let in your home as Dianne mentioned too much happening in this world we live in today.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:39 pm
Profile WWW

And isn't it just a real shame that we have to be so aware and think that way???? :( The more difficult times become, the more aware we must be.
Anxious to hear how things went. As Irene stated, the stability of knowing she will come on a steady basis will be a real comfort to you...and we can all use a bit of comfort now and then. :D

Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:00 am

Post Haircut for next Monday
Yes, we need to be concerned about our fellow man. Something that I cannot get used to but I'm learning. Ever since the wrinkles and grey hair took over my image there are those who give me different looks especially those who are out for a dollar bill in any way they can get it. House painting, roofing, yard work, sealing my blacktop driveway. I can see $ signs bouncing in their eyes. Funny about the haircut lady, before she returned my call, I could tell she had done checking up on us. You see our little "City" has a population of around 5,000, more or less. We have no men barber shops where men go to visit, this is the nearest one that caters to men. I could tell she had passed our name around and I'm sure she heard from a half a dozen all about "Mr Bobby and Mrs Dot". Its possible that she knows us from some of our activities in the past. If nothing else, I found out about her to the extent that she is a worker for the "We Care" drive that our little town sends boxes and boxes to our troops. I also contribute even though I can't be a worker. I'm sure she knows about us.

Anyway, I will report on the outcome of the haircut.. Let's hope it goes better than my day did with the new PT. She was less than alright and I'm wondering how she became certified. Home Health will not keep her very long but she will definitely not be back for Mr B. [Read about it under Respite Care, if you want to hear me complain]

DrP

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice", This is the way my husband, Mr B., introduced me in 2006 to the people only he knew. Death due to pneumonia. Lewy Body Dementia diagnosed post mortem at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:30 am

I am envious :) your little town sounds so wonderful. No wonder you were not worried about her. Now it all makes sense. You are too saavy to not think of these things...thought that was odd...the pieces now fit.

Peaked my interest...will now go to the respite room to read about the PT.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:46 am

Post The hair cut happened!
All my worry was for naught. Mary came. This is routine for her, this is what she does. When the subject of pay came up, she said this is what she does. Then I told her I would like to make a donation in her name to We Care. I saw a twinkle in her eye as she told me someone else did that. She was pleased. As for future plans, I am to call the shop and one of the girls will come tend to Mr B. I asked about pay for them and she told me the [small] price, indicating it would be fine to offer to pay them the regular fee. So it looks like I am set up with another worry off my mind.

Thank you all for helping me figure this thing out.

DrP

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:15 pm

What a great idea you had! Glad things went so well for you and Mr. B.
Robin

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Happy things went as you had planned. I'll bet Mr. B looks very handsome in his new haircut. :) Sounds like a great arrangement. I have a sneaking suspicion that Mary had a LO, parent, sibling,etc that went through a similar situation and is compassionate towards those in need of services in the home. We need more folks like her. Maybe they can work a "do" in for you too. :)
You and Mr. B will be the prettiest couple in town.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:21 pm

My grandfather visited here in December and we happened upon the cutest little old barber shop downtown. When he came in March he said he wanted to go again. It's been incredibly hard to get him there, so I'm thinking about asking them to consider a house call. I've tried about a half dozen different days, but something always seems to come up. Tomorrow is our next attempt. His PCA comes in the morning to shower and dress him and tend to his laundry and linens. Hopefully she'll have him ready to go when I get back from my morning errands! They do love their barbers, don't they?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Hippity Hop to the Barber Shop! Taking my LO for his haircut tomorrow. There will be a lot of good looking LBD folks out there.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]