View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Wireless Motion Alert System Works Well 

Post Wireless Motion Alert System Works Well
Hi all. Just wanted to share something my mom uses when she wants to know where my dad is going, especially at night. We use a wireless motion alert system that is actually designed as a driveway alarm. (In fact, we use it as a driveway and porch alarm, just happened to try it inside my parent's home and it works fine.) It is portable and relatively inexpensive (less than $100 for the basic unit). As dad is in a separate bedroom, mom can set it up so if he crosses the threshold of his bedroom, a buzzer goes off in her room. It is meant to be hung above ground on a post, but it works well for us to just lay the transmitting unit on the floor near the doorway to his bedroom, under a chair. When I stay there and sleep on the couch, I take the receiver into the living room so it will wake me up and my mom can sleep. The drawbacks I can see is that if you are a very heavy sleeper you might not hear the buzzer, though I think it can be rigged up for other sounds; also, my dad does not notice it...we hide it under a chair near his door...if he were to notice it, he might not leave it alone. It works fine in their smaller ranch home, I think the range is 100 feet, but we use it for much less distance. And, by the time I hear the buzzer and get to the hallway, he is almost to the bathroom. You do have to place it to give you enough warning to get to the person. However, this might be an idea for someone out there who is reluctant to "relax" when the other person is out of sight!

I will be glad to share the resources for purchasing this but am not certain about the rules for endorsement on this forum. Please let me know if you are interested. Blessings on all of you and your families...Sharon

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Post Collectively we grow
Thank you, Sharonst!!!

Where ther's a will, there's a way.

Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:53 pm

If you have a link for this alarm that would be fine to share here.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:06 pm
Profile WWW

Neat. Thanks for sharing, and we'd love to have more details (product name, price, where it can be bought).

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:20 pm

We bought our unit at Radio Shack but found this website:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStor ... uctID=1290

It is a RWA-300R Chamberlain Reporter Wireless Alert System

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like a great device! While my LO doesn't "wander" he sometimes gets up at night to use the bathroom and I don't wake/hear him so can't always help him. Anxious to try this device.

Heard recently about using a baby monitor when you are in another room...good if you are awake and watching tv or visiting but does not alert you if you are sleeping.

Thanks a bunch :)

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Note that on the website that I gave you, as well as on Amazon, there is a variety of reviews...some people love it, others think it is not good at all. None of the reviews report use in the house with short distances. I always adjust the placement and test it before I go to sleep. You might want to purchase it where you can return it just in case. I always hate to recommend something and then find out it doesn't work for someone...Sharon

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Sharonst...good idea to purchase it locally so if it doesn't work it can be returned. Looking forward to trying it. :)

Dianne

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:47 pm

The Baby monitor works well for when you are in another room, that's what I used but I do think this door monitor could be useful for those that like to get up at night and wonder a bit. Towards the end I also used a chair monitor but my tricky husband found that out way to fast and could take it off with out me knowing, that works just with a magnet, I used to pin it to a tee shirt but then he would take the shirt off and the alarm never went off as long as the magnets stayed together.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:46 am
Profile WWW

What is a chair monitor...I don't know about that. I think this one might be good to wake me when he has to use the bathroom at night.

My but your Jim sounds like he was a pretty astute fellow even later on in the disease...knew how to circumvent that t shirt. :) Some things such as this amaze me.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:52 am

It is a monitor they use in many NH's, its a boc with a string on it and has magnetsonce the magnets are ulled apart from each other the alrm sounds. Here is a link so you can see what it is!

http://www.ameds.com/product.php?Catego ... 5QodyXQi0w

Jim was not able to do many things but somehow always managed to take his clothes off almost to the end! It always amazed me too, he was in hospice house during that last 2 weeks and I had to go to the airport to pick his sister up and my daughter stayed with him and she called and said "What should I do, he is taking his clothes off, I laughd and said yes I know he does it all the time!"

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:04 pm
Profile WWW

That gave me a good chuckle lol. I would have liked to have seen the look on her face! :) These LOs can do and say wild things. They never cease to amaze us.

Will check out the box and alarms. Thanks for the link.

Dianne

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:47 pm

I too got a good laugh out of that too. :lol:

I am looking for something in the alarms to take with us if we find that Henry can travel with little trouble. Any ideas about that or can this one travel with us?

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:00 pm
Profile WWW

It's very small about the size of a pocket book and uses a battery!

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:35 pm
Profile WWW

Sounds like it could be used at home or for travel. Interesting link you sent Irene. Good selection of at home care items. Also, thanks for the laugh..you will have to tell your daughter we all got a good smile over that one. :)

Thanks
Dianne

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]