View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 "Final Gifts" - book recommendation 

Post "Final Gifts" - book recommendation
A book I often recommend is "Final Gifts." Here's an email I sent to the local support group about the book a few years ago:

Support group member Myth lost her mother recently. Her mother had PSP. She wanted me to share this book recommendation with you. She says she wished she would've read the book before he mother died as it helps to face the death of a loved one. Nonetheless she finds the book very comforting now. Here's more about what she had to say:

"I am reading a book written by two hospice nurses called Final Gifts. It's been helping me to understand the timing of my mom's death. The book has different stories of dying patients waiting for someone to arrive, waiting for someone to leave the room, etc. It also mentioned the distant face my mom had in the days before her death. It also gives advice on how to talk to the loved one while dying. Hearing is the last sense to go. The book explains how you should act around the dying person, and certain instances where a dying person may be having a hard time letting go. I would recommend this book to anyone facing a loved one with a terminal illness. It is not a religious book. The book is based on what these nursed have witnessed in the many years of being with family and patients at death."

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]