View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Transport chair and other medical eqpt. 

Post Transport chair and other medical eqpt.
I finally took the advice I received here and started shopping for a good transport chair for Jerome. Researched and decided which one I wanted and checked it out at our local medical supply and equipment store. The chair was over $300 (and Medicare will not pay anything for a transport chair). So, I went home, looked on line, found the exact chair from same manufacturer on amazon.com -- for less than half the store price, including the shipping! I ordered it online on Monday, it arrived on Wednesday, and I'm very happy with it.

So I recommend that if you need to buy any piece of medical equipment, large or small, cheap or expensive, go look for it online, starting with amazon.com. You will probably find it AND save a bundle of money on it.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:56 pm

I've also found walgreens.com to be good. -esp if you catch what you need on sale.
Sharon

Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:08 pm

The transport chair has been a godsend to me and mom. At first she was hesitant, but now is very enthusiastic about using it. It's really the only way we can get her out to do some shopping, go to a movie, etc.

Shopping around via the internet really can get you a good deal, if you can get shipping included. Regretfully, I couldn't find one online in Canada, and shipping/customs from the US was prohibitive. But, I was able to negotiate a good price with a local medical supplier, which turned out to be the equivalent of the price I would have paid via internet. Plus, we got the option of getting a lovely PURPLE chair, and they threw in a free back pack for the chair as well.

Hope the chair makes life easier and more enjoyable for you both!

Peace,
Suzee

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:33 am

It's sad when you get to this point in the illness but you will see what a difference a transport chair can make in your lives, Jerome won't feel as guilty when your work is cut in 1/2. You'll see how many more places you can go and you will also see all the places you avoided before the chair!

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:33 am
Profile WWW

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Post changing diaper in bed
my husband has become very ridged lately and it is getting very difficult for me to change his diapers when I care for him on the weekends can any one tell me if there is some kind of apparatus to move him from side to side to do this?

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:45 pm

There is no equipment that I know of for this. Despite your husband's rigidity, you can learn a technique to roll him from his left side to his right side. (One important principle is that it's easiest to roll someone if his legs are bent.) Or, if he's able to help at all by "bridging" (sticking his butt up in the air), that can be useful too. If he's a large man, this situation may indicate the need to hire a caregiver to help you at home.

If your husband is of Medicare age, ask the MD to prescribe an OT (occupational therapist) or PT to come to your home and show you how to safely do this.

This may have been covered in another post....you might do a search on "changing while in bed."

Good luck,
Robin

PS. I'm fairly sure that if you do a websearch for something like "video instructions changing diapers in bed" you can find something.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Post Re: Transport chair and other medical eqpt.
The transport chair I just bought has never been used. Dale is too rigid to sit and he can't stand. The neurologist's office said a 'transport van' would come to take him to appointments - so perhaps the transport chair will be used then.

A hospital bed has been ordered. I'm new to this. Does anyone have advice or a comment? What should I know?

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:14 am

Mary, my husband is not able to 'bridge' but I used a draw sheet to move him from side to side, which is what they do in the nursing home, as well. A draw sheet is a folded sheet lying crosswise on the middle of the bed underneath them. You pull the other end of the draw sheet toward you to move them to to their side. This works best with a hospital bed but you can do it with a twin bed, as I did.

Heed Robin's advice to get a PT or OT visit ordered by his physician to demonstrate techniques and advise you about helpful equipment for your home. Bear in mind, however, that there will probably be a day when you will no longer be able to move him by yourself and will need help. Start planning now. Hugs and prayers!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:58 am

Was your post addressed to me, Pat? Mary and Robin wrote in Apr 09 but the question is mine as well.

If so, thank you. I can use all the help I can get.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:06 am

:lol: Leone, I sometimes don't look at the dates--wow, only two years old! Well, anyway, it works pretty well. I was looking for a YouTube video of turning with a draw sheet but didn't see one. Whatever happened to Mary, anyway?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:12 am

BTW, Leone, I sent you a PM the other day.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:14 am

Leone,

It may be that your husband will be put on a gurney in the transport van. You might ask now as perhaps there's a chance you can return the chair you purchased.

Regarding a hospital bed, keep close watch on skin problems. I suggest getting a special kind of air mattress to prevent bed sores.

Robin

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi Leone....

When we received my husband's hospital bed I realized that the full length railings would make it difficult to maneuver in and out of the bed, even when they were dropped. They still were high enough to hinder movement in and out of bed.
The supplier told me I could get a switch of shorter railings that occupy just the top length of the bed, from about the head to the waist. I am glad we switched because these railings were very good for a good number of months, because they did not get in the way of movement in and out of bed.. Now I am considering getting the original railings back, because David now attempts to get out of bed by himself and is having many problems doing so, since his legs have become very weak and he falls quite easily. We do now have an "alarm mat" on the floor where his feet would touch. The alarm goes off, when he makes contact with it, and, off I run, to his side. The hospital bed has made some of the difficulties in caring for him, a bit easier.

I, too, have found the transport chair was a great addition to his care, but , just now, ordered a "real" wheelchair that has a swing away arm, which will permit me to use a TRANSFER BOARD, making getting into bed, cars..etc. much easier.

What we don't learn, being in the caregiver business!

Cheers,
Marcia

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Leone...

I just reread your message, and realize that you have not been able to use the transport chair....sorry you cannot do that, so some of my ramblings to you do not apply....

Sorry,
Marcia

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next