View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 New book on LBD Caregiving - a first of its kind! 

Post New book on LBD Caregiving - a first of its kind!
Living With Lewy's; Empowering Today's Dementia Caregiver, by Amy and Gerald Throop is available now from Cando Books LLC.

The authors, Amy and Gerald Throop, have generously offered to donate $1.50 for each copy of the book sold through the Lewy Body Dementia Association. Anyone mentioning having seen the book on the LBDA website will also be able to purchase the book for $24.95 (including shipping) instead of the $26.95 list price.

About the book and authors:

Caregivers Amy and Jerry Throop have been caring for Amy’s mother, one of the 1,500,000 victims nationwide suffering from Dementia With Lewy Bodies, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for eleven years. The couple knows how difficult it is to cope in a caregiving situation without adequate information. They tell us, “Eleven years ago, the only information available to us about Dementia With Lewy Bodies, was three paragraphs in a book about Alzheimer’s. Living in darkness, lacking helpful-factual information about the disease is almost as bad as the disease itself.”

Amy says, “We decided no family should have to endure what we have. We’ve spent the last six years writing and researching the book, Living With Lewy’s; Empowering Today’s Dementia Caregiver, which is about living with the illness, not dying.”

Dr. Carol F. Lippa, M.D., Professor of Neurology and Director of the Memory Disorders Program and Dementia Research Laboratory at Drexel University College of Medicine says the book is the first of its kind devoted to Dementia With Lewy Bodies and it’s the single best text of its kind in print anywhere. Dr. Lippa also says, referring to Living With Lewy’s, a patient and family can either embrace denial and live day-by-day enduring the inevitable crises, or they can be proactive and learn as much as possible about the illness to minimize problematic symptoms, maximize quality of life for everyone involved, and plan for the future. The proactive approach is far better and less stressful over time. Dr. Lippa says that neurologists, geriatricians, psychiatrists, primary care physicians, and nurses who care for patients with Lewy’s Disease will also find this text invaluable as a resource and as recommended material for their patients and caregivers.

Living With Lewy’s explores the specific disabilities Lewy’s Disease patients have such as cognitive, psychiatric, and physical symptoms and the fact that they and their caregivers are especially challenged by a 30% to 50% misdiagnosis rate. Further, the book warns about medications that can kill or make the condition worse and explains about medications that can help. The book also says that many patients can show remarkable improvement with comprehensive care and treatment.

In their book, the Throops share their caregiving methods and that of other caregivers and professionals, in the hope of making life less stressful, safer, and better for caregivers and their loved ones. The book will be empowering to all caregivers, no matter the illness, because they all share common problems including, where to find low or no cost support systems, caregiver health, safety issues, legal and financial concerns and how to respond in emergency situations.

Purchasing Information:

To purchase the book, visit http://candobooksllc.books.officelive.com/default.aspx. (This book is not yet available through other retailers.)

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:08 am
Profile WWW

I purchased this and i am halfway through- came very quickly from Canada to Aus :)

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Post Re: New book on LBD Caregiving - a first of its kind!
I just order a book, "A caregiver's guide to Lewy Body Dementia". I've just started to flip thru it but it validates so many things that we are living. As I try to find time to read it I'll let you know what I think, but I'm already pleased that I bought it.

Gerry

Thu May 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Gerry -
Is the book you purchased by the Whitworths or someone else?
Robin

Thu May 05, 2011 2:08 pm

Robin, Yes, James & Helen Buell Whitworth. Have you read it?

Gerry

Thu May 05, 2011 6:53 pm

manymoons posted about it here long ago:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1095

They've come through town at least twice -- just as they finished the first edition, and just before the second edition was published. I set up gatherings for them to make a presentation and sell their books to LBD support group members and non-group members. Many in our support group own copies (mostly of the first edition) and a few have donated copies to the group's lending library. My impression is that everyone has found it useful.

Thu May 05, 2011 7:39 pm

I first checked the Whitworth's book out at the library and was so impressed that I purchased a copy for myself and one for another sibling. It has been extremely helpful and informative.
Ellen

Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 am

After reading this, I bought the book. Wow! It is wonderful. It is not a depressing book at all. It is so informative. Sounds like they wrote a case history on my husband. It is such a good book, recommend it to anyone. If you have a Kindle, it is available. I bought 2 copies, one for my Kindle and a hard copy for others who are with Ron. Awesome!

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi Katie,
Just to be sure....You purchased the Throops' book? I didn't realize their book could be purchased any other place besides their website.
Robin

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:35 pm

Robin, I bought the book by the Whitworth's. I bought it on Amazon in hard copy and for my Kindle. After reading back through the messages, I realize that is the name I picked up, not the Throop's book. Now, I will have to check that one out also. Thanks.
Katie

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:31 am

I've had the book by the Throops for some time and having this post become active again reminded me of it. So now I not only own it, I've read it. 8)

I think that it is a remarkable achievement. They really have covered a lot of the things you need to know and do when you become a caregiver, especialy for someone with Lewy Bodies.

They write from a set of assumptions/beliefs. Since it pretty well matches my set, I'm very happy with the book. Others may be less pleased but still find very useful information here. For example, they are big proponents of getting the patient stabilized, by which they seem to mean on drug therapies to manage behavioral problems such as hallucinations, paranoia, etc. I think that is critical, but I know that some people try to avoid or minimize the use of drugs. They also believe that there are some situations where long-term placement is the appropriate choice, including those where the patient cannot be stabilized and poses a risk to others. (Verbal abuse is considered a risk in this context.) I agree with that, too, but I know that some people think the patient should be kept at home at all costs.

They encourage finding a doctor who will treat with "realistic optimism" instead of disconnect with a sense of nihilism.

They deal briefly with many practical issues, from showering to dealing with problem hired helpers.

There are many personal stories throughout the book, of caregivers they have interviewed, illustrating the content of the chapter.

The story of their own mother in the last chapter is appalling and moving. It reminded me just a little of Tonya, with the difficulties of getting a meaningful diagnosis.

Very good book of its kind!

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]