View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Looking for a kitchen chair with a swivel base and arm rest. 

Post Looking for a kitchen chair with a swivel base and arm rest.
My father has a hard time sitting down at the kitchen table so we figured if we could find him some type of kitchen chair that has a swivel base and arm rests it would make life a lot easier. The only ones I have been able to find are your basic counter and bar stools that are too high for an average kitchen table. If anyone has any information on where we could locate one of these it would be greatly appreciated. Also, would like to know if anyone would have any idea if this type of furniture would be covered by Medicare.

Thanks!

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:39 pm

Post Swivel Cushion--or when we put our heads together
I have not used this but I see in the latest SEARS' Home Health and Wellness catalog a SWIVEL CUSHION which sells for around thirty five dollars. "Comfortable foam cushion on a turn table base helps prevent back and hip strain. Swivels 360 degrees in any direction while seated. Lightweight, portable cushion has a diameter of 15 1/2". Washable gray velour cover. 300 lb. capacity.

This would probably be covered by Medicare with Drs. approval.

A more expensive idea would be a nice office chair [I don't know if Medicare would cover that but you could ask].

I remember my mother used a chair on wheels [she did not like a regular wheel chair for around the house, she wanted the chair that had little four inch wheels]. She pushed it with her feet and scooted everywhere in that until her death at age 94. That was covered by Medicare. I'm sure you could find that in a Medical Supply store. We ordered hers from Sears, I think.

good luck!

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:10 pm

I appreciate the reply. We did think about the swivel seat (kind of like the ones the have for cars) but my dad needs something to hold on to when he tries to sit down. Regarding the office chair I think with him unless the wheels are locked he would have a hard time with it. Thanks for you answer.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:18 pm

Jerome uses an office chair. You can solve the rolling problem by placing a thick carpet or throw rug under it (the deeper the pile on the rug the better) -- the wheels will not move when your LO tries to stand up. If you get it at a place like Staples or other office supply store (they deliver for free), you can try it out and if it doesn't work well for you, you can return it.

If you go to the office supply stores' websites (Staples, Office Depot, OfficeMax, etc.), you're likely to find some on sale or on their clearance pages. In the stores, they often have floor models on deep discount.

Good luck!

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Post chair
Helen, I bought an office chair, secretarial size, with arms for Frank, it was probably our wisest buy. It does have wheels but it sits on a braided rug so it doesn't roll out from under him, and it lets me push him up to the table to eat. I bought it at Staples, about $59. Take Care, Gerry

Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:07 pm
What about a small transport chair, it is a smaller version of a full size wheel chair, smaller wheels and can be locked at the wheels, this is what worked best for us after I couldn't manage the kitchen chairs anymore, just wheeled him to the table and all was good and medicare often pays for it but you will need a scrip from his Doctor!
Good Luck!

Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:15 am

Is there a difference between a transport chair and a companion chair? Jerome's PT suggested we get a companion chair as all four wheels are small and this type of chair is easier and lighter for the companion/caregiver to push.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:43 pm

I think "transport chair" and "companion chair" are the same thing.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:06 am

Not so crazy... A gentleman who was a carpenter and had a wife with PSP who loved to cook, rigged her up a from-the-ceiling track system. She was held upright in a harness!

Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:35 am

I just got mom a transport chair, which has hand brakes on the back for the "pusher" to use......makes stopping on a hill or slope MUCH easier for me!!

It's been a godsend for shopping/banking/doctor's visits, and just for going for walks. Mom's had a walker for some time now, but she really cannot get further than a couple blocks before she is exhausted. Now we can go on longer walks, and I'm not constantly worried about her falling. We're planning a trip to the zoo this week....first time in years!

The transport chair is easily foldable, lightweight and easier to maneuver than the full sized wheelchair. Mom couldn't use the actual wheelchair herself anyway, as she does not have the strength in her arms or hands.

Another advantage of the transport or companion chair....the push handles on the back are higher than on a regular wheelchair, which means that the pusher does not have to lean over all the time.....much easier on my back!

Check the transport/companion chairs out....they're quite inexpensive. And if you don't use it, you can always resell it....

Good luck,
Peace,
Suzee

Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]