View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 New Book - Contented Dementia by Oliver James 

Post New Book - Contented Dementia by Oliver James
Hello all,

My Mum and I (she's carer for my Dad) have been reading this book and I'd love to know if anyone else is trying out the things in it. It's two first "instructions" are "Don't ask questions" and "Don't contradict". We found straight away that Dad is much calmer when not asked questions but we had to work on other modes of speech "I think it's about time we had a cup of tea" instead of "would you like a cup of tea?". I thought I was being inclusive by asking him things but actually it just stressing him out because he tries to remember things, can't and then panics.

"Don't contradict" is harder, particularly if he's distressed by something he's telling you. Or insisting that my Mum is not his wife. Or telling me I've used his toothbrush and he really thought he'd brought me up better. But generally agreeing and moving the topic onto something you know he'd like to talk about makes him look a lot more content.

I'd really recommend this book as something a little more positive sounding than you will normally read about Dementia.

Last edited by soundmary on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:51 am

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds worthwhile!

Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]