View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 practical matters 

Post practical matters
I'm wondering if there should be a new heading apart from symptoms and diagnosis, meds and behavior and respite. I'm knee deep in paperwork trying to sort out medicaid qualified income trust info, trying to pay for my dad's nursing home and not making my mother desitute. There is POAs, brain donation, wills, living wills, insurance - it might be nice to isolate this information from other very important information. It is all important and all overwhelming at times.

Kani

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:49 am

Quite a while ago we requested that the LBDA create a "Caregiver Resources" Forum or something along those lines. I think Irene Selak mentioned it to the Forum master and it's low down on the to-do list.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 pm

[/quote]Quite a while ago we requested that the LBDA create a "Caregiver Resources" Forum or something along those lines. I think Irene Selak mentioned it to the Forum master and it's low down on the to-do list.
Quote:

Then I urge that it be bumped up to the top as many of us have been asking for such a list for a very long time -- clearly there is a need. Simply setting up another forum under the existing system is NOT a big deal. A forum for a brochure focus group went up quickly. Simply repeat that process.

This is something LBDA could do right now that would provide a real service and cost nothing.

Please?

Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:38 pm

There wasn't a separate, new forum created for the LBDA brochure focus group. It was an announcement post, I believe.

It's a little bit harder to create a separate Forum but another Forum that I'm a member of that uses the same software as this one recently created three new Forums -- caregiver resources, grief support, and "patients"-only.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:24 pm

(The LBD Focus Group is a new forum that is already operational for those of us who have volunteered to participate).

Since the Respite forum has such a low level of activity, why not re-name it "Respite & Practical Matters"? No new forum would need to be established.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 pm

Hopefully the moderator (Irene) can pass it along...

Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:19 pm

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 am

Post Re: practical matters
Today I made an appointment with an attorney that specializes in Elder Law. I kinow I should have done this a long time ago, but I was like the Ostrich. If I didn't look at it in the eye, it wasn't happening. Now it is happening, and very quickly.

We need to discuss asset preservation. I shudder to think!

Pat and others who posted, If you read this, I should get the real low down on what I, as a spouse, can keep if ever Medicaid ever gets involved. Cross my fingers that it won't have to. ( this is in regard to a post on another topic where we all gave out our own versions of what we think Medicaid will do for us.

Nan

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:39 pm

We'll be anxious to hear your report, Nan! Thanks for being our 'representative'. :-)

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:12 pm

Last year when I hired a tax accountant he said we'd have to spend my dad's assets (not including cars or the house) down to $2,000, and only then could we expect to get Medicaid, and we'd have to wait 5 yrs. from the date he put my sister's and my names on the house and all his accounts. We can "spend down" the assets, but we'd still have another 3 yrs. and 7 mo. before he'd become Medicaid eligible. You can give $13,000 a year as gifts to children, grandchildren, etc. if you have enough money to cover that 5-year period.
All travel expenses to go take care of a LO can be reimbursed, like plane tickets, meals, hotels, rental cars, etc. but not your time, even if you are losing income because of the travel. Lynn

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks for the info, Lynn. One other thing you can do is to put aside the money for funeral expenses by pre-paying through a funeral director. I know I have to do it, but it's hard to actually go ahead with it for me. Things seem too real for me. The trick with these pre-paid funeral arrangements, though, is pre-paying enough to cover the funeral while not over-paying. If you don't use all of the money you pre-paid, you don't get it back. This is on the advice of my Mom's case worker. Her savings are so depleted that we are extremely close to Medicaid.
Mom's case worker, or social worker, has been a Godsend through all of this. Things that I would have been very hesitant to do with Mom's limited funds, he has done for her with county funds. He has never treated Mom, or any other of us with anything but respect and kindness. I keep wondering if this is just this particular guy or if they are all as understanding.
It was smart, Lynn, to involved the accountant. When there are assets of value, good advice is really important. I would also suggest working with a social worker, either through the county your Dad lives in or a private social worker. Your doctor's office or a hospital in the area could set you up with one or at least give you some referrals. Regardless of assets, I might start with the county, if for no other reason than to establish with them a relationship and proof that you are trying to do the right thing.
Way to go, Nan, for contacting an elderlaw attorney. Even if it is late, there are still things that can be done to make the current situation and end-of-life issues more tolerable. Toward end of life, I think one of the kindest things a person could do for their family is to get these things straightened out and clearly state their wishes so that family conflicts can be avoided, or at least limited.

Kate

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:29 am

One other thing that I do is keep all the receipts for things, so if I am reimbursing myself or others for travel expenses to my dad's, I have the gas receipts, etc. and keep my calendar with trips listed in there. Also, any things I buy for him like razors, clothing, etc. I keep those receipts too. And I show all that stuff to his accountant that he's had for 60 years.
Re: making funeral arrangements - we've been doing this for the past few weeks, but talk about depressing! Even though my dad is very ill and is under hospice care, it seems pretty weird to say the least, to be making funeral arrangements. He wrote his own obit. about 10 yrs. ago, and it needs some editing. I've been dragging my feet about that but need to do it. I did take a really nice photo of him a couple of years ago before the big decline, so I had an enlargement made of that that I will send to the funeral home ahead of time. It is not very comfortable making arrangements for someone who is still alive, but it will be a big relief when it's all done so we don't have a lot of last-minute scrambling when he does pass. The funeral home has given us a figure but told us we don't need to pay anything now, and he has enough assets to cover that so I'll wait to pay later, unless he lives another 3 years, which is not likely. Morbid conversation......

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]