View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Reverse Mortgages 

Post Reverse Mortgages
I work in a mortgage dept for a bank and since I've seen several suggestions that we consider reverse mortgages I wanted to point out something that people are not often aware of, that may or may not affect a decision to get a reverse loan.
•Since a reverse mortgage is a rising debt loan, the interest continues to accrue, and this increase compounds over time. As the debt increases, the equity decreases. This will reduce assets for your heirs, as the loan balance must be paid off when you permanently move out or you die. However, you or your estate can never owe more than the home's appraised value when it's sold.
•In some cases, you can lose your house if you vacate it for a prolonged stay in a nursing home, rehabilitation center or hospital. Even though you intend to return home, the lender can require repayment of the full loan balance plus interest.
I had a friend who considered this and she was not informed that her son would have to pay it off when she died. It is always good to be informed before making such an important decision.
Connie

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:47 am

Post Re: Reverse Mortgages
Very good info. Connie, and thanks for posting. I've always heard that you should never get a reverse mortgage, However, there have been people on this forum over the years for whom that was the only thing that was able to help them financially due to high debt and cash flow issues. Since ALFs most times aren't covered by Medicaid, reverse mortgages were the only way they could get their LO the care they needed in an ALF.
Glad you have posted some details about reverse mortgage for everyone to read! Lynn

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:05 pm

Yes, thanks for posting that Connie! I think anyone should sit down with a good bank manager and discuss all the options before making any big financial decisions and it's a good idea to have the plan in place before the crisis hits - as it always does...

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:29 am

Thanks for that info Connie,
I have always assumed that the bank gets the home after the owner dies and that the owner can only get what the equity may be as the loan amount when there still exists a mortgage balance.
I've talked in brief with my mortgage lender who stated that they don't recommend reverse mortgages until the owner(s) are at least 70 years old. I'm not sure why.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]