View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tax Time and Filing For Spouse With LBD 

Post Tax Time and Filing For Spouse With LBD
Does anyone have experience with filing a federal tax return for a spouse with LBD? I'll be doing Mom & Dad's return again this year. I've read all about using a Form 2848 (not very helpful when the person can no longer sign this form to begin with!). Mom has POA but I've read that it can be rejected if someone at the IRS decides they don't like it (guess it depends on what side of the bed they wake up on that morning). I've read that Mom can sign and attach a note with certain info on it, including why the person can't sign. But wouldn't that raise a red flag? I've also been told just to file electronically because that way no one needs to sign, but wouldn't the fact that money is being paid to a nursing home (will have to file as itemized this year for the first time) raise a red flag? I want to get this done properly! Dad may perhaps possibly under the right circumstances still be able to scribble something on his signature line when the time comes (wouldn't count on it and it would make him obsess again), but I don't like that either! Any suggestions or tales of experience in doing this? :shock:

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:18 pm

Post Re: Tax Time and Filing For Spouse With LBD
I think I had to provide a certified copy of the POA with my dad's tax return, since I was his POA. A CPA filled out the return, filed it electronically, but I think I had to sign something and send in the certified POA. No problems, no questions. If your mom has POA, she should be able to sign and NOT have to have your dad sign, I believe, but I think her atty. or a CPA can answer for sure. That's why people appoint POA's, right? Lynn

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Filing Electronic is your best bet because you create PIN numbers for electronic filing. As long as you have all the documentation to supply in case of red flags, you should be fine. In all honesty I would not be worried as long as they have not had any difficulties in the past with their filings.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:18 pm

My sister has done my parents' taxes and filed electronically for them for several years, and there has never been a problem. My dad is cognitively intact but turning 98 and just tires too much to deal with the taxes, but he signs off on any papers that are needed. We do have POA but I don't think that has ever been requested.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:09 am

I agree---electronically is the way to go. I use Turbo Tax Deluxe.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]